Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

batteries

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Normally I would say making the recovery disk is mandatory just in case. In your case unless you want to take ti to the shop where you got it and tell them the optical drive is not reading blank cd's and have them look at it. I can't see another way of doing this.
I myself since the system is so new I would want it working right and not cause problems later on.
They should be able to do a recovery cd from even using a external cdrom if they have to just so you have them.
The replacement of the cdrom is something you should have done with the warranty especially being as new as it is.

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
yea i see what you are saying. i can burn pictures on the cd drive. i was thinking may theiris still a program that i have not entered as to why it want burn the recovery. i am going to play with i and see.
i will know more about the cd drive as soon as i can get my compaq back. i am going to burn all my pictures asap this time. wife is going crazy about loosing all of our baby pictures. but it is not that bad i had made a copies of everything except vacation pictures.

thanks again for all your help. nice talking with you

hey i forgot something. where do you learn all the tricks like the one you told me. holding the ctrl down and pressing the v button. that was sharp. i would like to learn more stuff like this. i know a little from people like you but i was wondering if their was a book or something. very very interesting.

i have read allot of your post from time to time, you have some very good skills. i am impressed

Edited by 40vern, 21 February 2010 - 10:21 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

hey i forgot something. where do you learn all the tricks like the one you told me. holding the ctrl down and pressing the v button. that was sharp. i would like to learn more stuff like this. i know a little from people like you but i was wondering if their was a book or something. very very interesting.

Alot of this i have picked up over the past 15 years now that I have been doing this. Some from fellow Staff members and training in the tech Academy here on GeeksToGo. More important and probably the most easiest for most people is to learn that Google is your best friend. With some research and just wording things differently in a Google search you can find just about anything.

i have read allot of your post from time to time, you have some very good skills. i am impressed

Thank you for the kind words and I do try hard to do my best. I am very persistent in trying to make sure everyone I help I can resolve their issue and maybe even teach them some things. I hope I have done that for you in some way.
As far as a program to install to do the recovery disk that is not the problem as you said you can burn the photos and other data with now problem. The issue may be that the burning software reacts differently with the recovery disk making. Try this... start the recovery disk making without a disk in and let the system ask you to insert the disk. When it does then insert the blank disk and see if it works then.
There is a program we use for making a Linux Live cd that does this and will say to insert blank media even if there is one already in the drive. I don't know if that is what is going on but it is worth a try. Please let me know how everything turns out for you.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok i did this. i told it to make a recover disk then i wait for it to ask for a dick the drive ones by itsels and i insert a disk then i get the media message that i posted

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't know why it is doing this.
Being that it is new i would have it looked at under the warranty so if there is a problem you don't have to pay for it.
Also with it doing this now there is no telling what can go wrong later.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i hate to say it but i was using the wrond cd i was using a cdr when i needed a dvd i feel stupid but the recovery disk are burning as we speak

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Wow! Sometimes its the little things that really mess us up.

Glad you got it sorted out though.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i feel dumb as you know what for wasting peoples time. i was chatting with asua teck. support and they told me this. but i dont feel bumb enough to post this if it will help someone else out. thanks everyone. not if i can get the one one to boot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I'm not sure why it would make a difference since it is only data any recordable media should have worked. Glad to hear you got it sorted out and working now. I'm sure it will help someone with the same problem in the future. :) :) :) :)

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
thanks i am on alot of other forms like jeeps and stuff that i am interested in soialways post things like this to help people and to get help

i started a new topic on my old compaq if anyone has any ideas

thanks again

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm glad to see you got this one resolved and I will try to drop in on the other one if I can.

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 March 2010 - 10:07 AM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok thanks
i descided to start a new one to see it it will help me and others.
ihave been doing allot of searches on this site. some are very interestion.