Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with sound and printer

• Please log in to reply

Bradley24

Bradley24

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently got a new internet adapter for my computer. It's like 54mpbs or something like that, that connects to the motherboard, yada yada yada. The problem occured after a pop-up kept coming up about the new cd I burned to allow my adapter to work with the computer. After installing the cd (Netgar Wireless G PCI adapter)I have had a couple of key features not working with my comp and it's really pissing me off and I don't know how to fix them. My Sound of my speakers And my printer is not working. My friend who has helped me with my computer says its driver problems. However, I feel he doesn't know how to help me. haha. So please can anyone tell me how to get my sound back and my printer back. To me these are not basic problems becasue if they were i'd be able to fix them by now. I do not have a lot of knowledge about computer, but i do have enough to were i can be pretty effective. Thank you!

Bradley

Advertisements

nbuddy

nbuddy

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Check your sound drivers.
Open your start menu (right-click on the "Start" button and choose "Explore"), and find the "My Computer" icon. Right-click on it and choose "Properties" from the submenu. Click on the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button.

Expand the "Sounds, video, and game controllers" heading to find your sound card. The name will depend on what sound card is installed on your PC. It will most likely have a name containing "audio." It should look something similar to the example above. You'll know immediately if there is a major driver error because an exclamation point (!) will show over the card's icon.

Double-click on the name of the sound card to open a new window. In the new properties window click on the "Drivers" tab. If there is no "Drivers" tab then you chose the wrong sound device. Go back and try again. On the "Drivers" tab, click the "Driver Update" button. Follow the Wizard's onscreen instructions to update your driver. You can also contact the manufacturer of your PC for the most recent audio drivers. They can usually be found online.

If you already have the most recent driver, click the "Uninstall Driver" button. Then restart your computer. When you restart your computer, the driver should reinstall automatically. If it does not, install it manually with software (or a download) from the manufacturer.

Bradley24

Bradley24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey I appreciate your help. Everything was very easy to follow. Unfortunately, after uninstalling the sound driver and restarting my computer right after my sound is still not working. Do you think I should see if there is an update version for the driver or something? It says that my driver's version is from 2007.

nbuddy

nbuddy

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Install this and see if it helps. I think you will have to register but its free.

http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/

Also, make sure the speakers still work by plugging them into another computer that you know works.

Edited by nbuddy, 16 February 2010 - 03:06 PM.