Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Insert Scan Disk and press ok (HP C4280 scanner problem)

• Please log in to reply

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hello GTG

Goodness me it is some time since I last posted here and you helped me out, I have survived so well running up to 5 computers on my network, not bad for a numpty!

This one has got me stuffed though and I have Googled it to death.

I am running Window XP and have an HP C4280 Photosmart printer, copier, scanner. It has worked fine until yesterday when I wanted to scan something and it wouldn't like it. The Windows installer came up and asked me to insert a scan disk and then click ok. I don't have that so it goes off in a huff and loops the installer if you click cancel and also displays an error 1706.

To try and fix it so far I have:

1) Updated every driver, uninstalled and reinstalled them
2) Diabled the printer and it gets enabled (on boot up)
3) Delete a file calle hpqrt08.exe
4) Deleted a file called AIO_Scan
5) Gone into msconfig and deleted temp files

One thing I haven't been able to do is reinstall the software because I cannot find the disc that came with the printer. Also I remember that the scan option direct from the printer has never worked as it always says the USB is not connected, which is clearly is.

The printer and copier work fine, so it isn't exactly the end of the world, but it would be nice to fix if only to make ME feel better!

Thanks in advance.

Louise's Dad

Advertisements

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
:)

Worked this out - in fact if anyone is reading this, then this might help (admittedly I have not rebooted so not sure if it is a temporary fix or not.

I went onto the HP website and they have a solution for this. I didn't quite follow it but decided to search for scan.msi as I couldn't find it where they said it would be. Eventually I found it, and so when the wretched windows installer loop started pointed it in that direction and the scanner works now. It doesn't work via the button on the unit, but does work from the HP Solution Centre.

What a pain in the butt that was but at least it seems to work. If it works when I reboot then I won't post but if not then I will be back!!

L's D