Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

struck in power saving mode and black screen monitor

• Please log in to reply

snobrd43

snobrd43

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have windows xphome I turn the computer on and all I get is power saving mode. No mouse, no keyboard nothing I can hear the fan on the computer and the on and off button on the monitor goes from blue to amber there are no beeps from the computer. I have hit the F8 key when I turn it on I have tried hitting the space bar, nothing happens. I switched monitors and it works fine on my upstairs computer and my upstairs monitor does not work on my xp computer. I have no idea of what to do or what is wrong I have been all over the internet trying to figure this out you are my last hope. I have had this computer about 6yrs. Thanks for any help

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
From your description your monitor works fine on another system correct?
Another known working monitor does not work on your system correct?
It sounds to me like your video card is bad.
I take it from your description this is a desktop system?
Is it a branded system like Dell or HP?
What model is it if a branded system?
Do you knwo if the video is onboard or is it a add on card?

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 February 2010 - 06:30 AM.

snobrd43

snobrd43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It is a gateway desktop model 7200x It has all the original parts that came with it I never replaced a video card so no sure what you mean by onboard or add on. Thanks for getting back to me

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would be onboard which means it is built into the motherboard instead of being a graphics card that goes into a slot.
This means you can purchase a add on card and maybe even in the process get a better video card in your system. You have a PCI Express-16 slot so you can get a lot of the newer cards to replace it with. If you would like I can link some for you to help you with finding one.
What would your budget be and what do you use the system for mostly?
Gaming, INTERNET, Work or a combination of everything.

snobrd43

snobrd43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My husband uses it to play games online (pogo) email and sometimes I use it for making bday cards I have a software in it now called paint shop pro x1 I use that alot. For a video card price I don't want to buy a low end one so I guess I will go mediun price. Now does that mean that the video card that is in the computer now does that one have to be removed or does it stay in there or do I have to replace that one, plus put in the add on. I am so thankful for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
since it is onboard when you install a new add on card it will disable the onboard so no messing with it. There will be a drivers disk you will have to load most likely but a small price to pay for a better card.
Take a look at this ATI card HERE.
512 megs of video memory with connections for either standard vga or dvi.
If you have a lcd monitor you should have a dvi cable that was included with it. This will also help with the way the graphics are on the screen.