Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB - Blue screen

• Please log in to reply

e.myers

e.myers

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Panasonic CF-29. Installed software for a camera, now when I plug ANYTHING else into the USB I get the blue screen. Just before going to blue screen a message pops up "an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory"

Any help would be so appreciated!!

Thanks!
Elaine Myers

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
e.myers,

Try doing a system restore back "before" you installed the camera software and then try using the USB ports again to see if you get the same issue. If you need help on how to do a system restore, post back here.

e.myers

e.myers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Appreciate the response. We tried going back a year and that did not correct the problem. Tried uninstalling the USB root hubs and getting back to default settings. Nothing is working.

The camera is the only thing that can be plugged into the USB without it going to the blue screen.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Hi Elaine,

As your laptop is blue screening on what is probably a driver, it should be creating some memory dumps.

Can you navigate to this folder C:\Windows\Minidump
You should then see some .dmp files, can you attach the most recent one in your next reply please.

e.myers

e.myers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried to upload but got this error message......

Error Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file

Sorry

e.myers

e.myers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
BlackOxide,
I saved it in Notepad as a text file, hopefully you can decipher.
I didn't know how else to do it. Thanks!

Attached Files

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Sorry about that, could you go back into the Minidump folder and ZIP that latest one up, then upload the Zip file. The one you just posted seems corrupt. Cheers

e.myers

e.myers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Trying again....

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Thanks for zipping them up, it worked that time :)

I think this camera software has altered one of the main USB drivers and it's not liking it.
Couple of quick questions... What version of Windows is this laptop running? XP Pro, XP Home, Windows 7 etc
Also do you have access to a Windows Disc?

Next, can you do the following...

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    :filefind
    usbport.sys
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

e.myers

e.myers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hope I did this right. We thought the camera was the culprit! This is my husbands laptop issued by his employer, so we are limited. Was hoping to be able to fix it at home. Once we send it back to the company it will be out for a week +. Not good!!

It is running XP Pro, Do not have access to a Windows disc.
Thank you again!

Attached Files

Edited by e.myers, 12 February 2010 - 08:20 AM.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Unfortunately Elaine, I think we are going to be too limited here on what we can do. Even if you did find the Windows disc, with some restrictions almost certainly in place from his employer (and not knowing what they might be), makes repairing this type of problem you have very difficult at your home, and could potentially make things worse.

There are many reasons why GTG does not support PC's by IT departments at work, and with you being able to send it to your husbands IT department, I honestly believe in this instance, I know it is a pain in the backside, it is the best way forward in getting this problem resolved, as they know their own setup, hardware, user restrictions etc of the laptop.

Hope you understand, sorry we couldn't get it resolved, if there are any other questions you have, feel free to ask. :)

e.myers

e.myers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for the time you have put into this. We will be sending it on come Monday!