Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New (first one) build... does nothing when i press the power button

• Please log in to reply

fix23

fix23

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hey all.. So i ordered all my computer parts for my first computer build and it appears i did something wrong or a part is broken.

Ive got everything plugged in properly i believe.. but when i push the power button nothing happens. no fans spin, no noises from anywhere. theres only one thing that happens... the PSU has a quick 'click' sound.

The light on the mobo is lit up.
Ive tried it with everything unplugged but the psu to mobo cables and only 1 stick of ram.. but still nothing.

heres a couple of pics of the mobo to show how its all plugged in.

http://i47.tinypic.com/15coj8j.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/2rx7itg.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/rjdw6h.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/14uulwi.jpg

Thanks!

Advertisements

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Hey fix23,

Can you just confirm whether or not you have got the 4pin 12v from the PSU plugged onto the board near the CPU (see pic). Looking at the pics you posted I can't quite make out whether you have an adaptor plugged in, or the actual 4pin cable from the PSU, as I can't see any cables that lead from the PSU itself to that 4pin connector, unless you are running it under the metal backing. Without this 4pin, your PC will not boot.

Pic of where I mean - http://img33.imagesh...8625/rjdw6h.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If not what BlackOxide suggest then it sounds like a short with the MOBO and the case.

fix23

fix23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Yes i got the 24 and 4 pin both plugged in..

but before go further i think i may have the problem..

I bought a combo (mobo/cpu) and im looking at it and it appears the mobo supports a 65nm cpu ... then i look at the cpu and its a 65nm... a computer guy told me they wont work together.

http://www.ncix.com/...ucts/?sku=43357
http://www.ncix.com/...ucts/?sku=46477

you tell me...
Thanks.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The cpu is compatible with the motherboard, CLICK HERE and click on the Cpu Support List tab, and you'll see your cpu.

Can you link me to the memory your purchased, so I can confirm compatibility?

Hook up the very basics, a "bench test":
  • Remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a piece of cardboard
  • Install only the CPU with heatsink and fan (remember to use thermal paste and plug in the fan)
  • Install only 1 stick of ram in dimm 1 (consult your motherboard manual for which slot is to be used)
  • Hook up the Power Supply (there should be a 20 or 24pin connector, and a 4 or 8pin connector)
  • Use onboard video, (if not available, use a video card)
  • Use any momentary case switch, or have your case close enough to install it's case switch
  • Make sure there is a case speaker connected, many modern motherboards have a onboard speaker
  • Connect a ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
  • Power the system on
DO NOT hook up the hard drive, CD/DVD, case fans, lights, or anything else not mentioned above.

If the system does not power on, replace the 1 stick of RAM with the other stick. Are you getting any kind of beep codes? Do you get any video? Can you get to the BIOS? (Consult motherboard manual on how to enter the BIOS for your motherboard) Do the fans remain on, but no video?

fix23

fix23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thanks for the reply. heres my psu i got: http://www.ncix.com/..... Technologies

and heres the ram i got: http://www.ncix.com/...facture=G.Skill

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
PSU and RAM are compatible. Try the bench test I mentioned above. I know it may not seem like fun, but this will help you make some progress.

fix23

fix23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Just did the card board box method. it does turn on now. as soon as it turns on it has a beep then a couple seconds later has a couple more beeps. is this good news? now how can i put it in the case with it still working? lol. thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Basic beep codes and meanings...

How to Interpret Computer Error Beep Codes

When the computer makes those funny sound via the system speaker, it's not doing it because it wants to be heard.
The computer is trying to talk to the operator/technician and tell them what's wrong.

Beep Codes:

No Beeps: Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals

One Beep: Everything is normal and Computer Posted fine

Two Beeps: POST/CMOS Error

One Long Beep, One Short Beep: Motherboard Problem

One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps: Video Problem

One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps: Video Problem

Three Long Beeps: Keyboard Error

Repeated Long Beeps: Memory Error

Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps: CPU Overheating

Thanks to alandemartino for this tutorial.

fix23

fix23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
It has: 1 quick beep, 3 seconds later has 3 quick beeps...

id also like to say that theres no keyboard or mouse plugged in. just the mobo cables (24 and 4) and ram/cpu

Edited by fix23, 13 February 2010 - 04:25 PM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Just did the card board box method. it does turn on now

It's great you have made some progress. What do you mean turns on? Just that the fans spin and you can see it being active? Or... do you have the monitor plugged in and you are getting video?

The idea of the bench test is to get to the BIOS. This is usually done once you turn the computer on, repeatedly start pressing the appropriate key (usually the delete key, consult your motherboard manual) until the BIOS shows up on the screen. The BIOS is a predominately blue screen, you'll know it when you get there. You have to have a keyboard plugged in obviously to do this.

It has: 1 quick beep, 3 seconds later has 3 quick beeps...

The one quick beep is the computer POSTing, consult your motherboard manual to see what it says about the 3 beeps because this indicates there is a problem of some sort... it may just beep that it's not detecting the keyboard. Notice this quote...

Three Long Beeps: Keyboard Error

Once you can enter the BIOS, you are set to go further with the complete install of the components and eventually the Operating System.

now how can i put it in the case with it still working?

Once you get to the BIOS screen, you can start putting everything in the case, but only hook up the bare minimum, no hdd led, or reset switch, no cd/dvd, no extra fans, hook up everything the same way you just did out side of the case. If the system powers on(gets to the BIOS), then you can start connecting ONLY ONE thing at a time, (i.e. reset switch), and then power on again. Repeat this for every thing you plug in, one at a time. Do you see what I'm getting at? This will find the culprit, if any, that is causing the system to not boot.

If the system still doesn't power on with just the bare minimum hooked up like you have now, then there is a short somewhere... (i.e. a loose screw rolling around between the mobo and case, standoff screwed in where it does not match up to a hole with the mobo.)

Let us know.

Edited by Ferrari, 13 February 2010 - 05:58 PM.

fix23

fix23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thank you so much. i dont think i have a ps/2 keyboard though... would usb work?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Yes the USB should work...

good luck

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Yes the USB should work...

Agreed. Most modern hardware... USB will do just fine, the ps/2 is just the most basic form, which is what the bench test is all about. I should change my instructions to include that as a side note.

fix23

fix23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Just plugged in the monitor and the usb keyboard and booted up. this time it gave me 1 quick beep then 2 more quick beeps a couple seconds later.

this is what it says on the monitor:

gives the info of the cpu here
Press f8 for BBS setup
press ALT + F2 to execute asus EZ flash 2
Initializing usb contrllers.. done.
1792MB OK (installed memory size:2040MB)
USB devces: 1 keyboard
Auto detecting USB mass storage devices..
00 USB mass storage devices found and configured.

Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting
CMOS date/time not set
press f1 to run setup
press f2 to lod default values and continue.

----

thats exactly how it looks, in that order.
Now where would i go from here?

Thanks!

Edited by fix23, 14 February 2010 - 04:04 PM.