Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to delete Antivirus System Pro, can't run GMER [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I had no problem downloading GMER. I disabled Norton Antivirus Auto-Protect until reboot and started GMER. Seventeen minutes later, while it was scanning IAT, I left and took a nap. Two hours and 15 minutes after starting GMER I came back to find PC was at the Log In screen! What time did that happen? First thing I did was look at the Norton 360 Recent History. There were no new events logged other than info. Norton Auto-Protect was enabled again. Must have rebooted.

About 10 minutes after login a Microsoft Windows Dialog box openned saying "The systemhas recovered from a serious error...". I clicked send error report and a Windows Error Report - IE window openned displaying a message saying there was a Blue screen error caused by a device or driver.

I wasn't watching when GMER terminated. Never saved the log file. I searched for any GMER text file. Didn't fine one.

That's about it.

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Do you have another computer you can download files onto and transfer them to the infected computer?

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I used a conputer at the local library to downloaded the following onto a USB 2.0 Flash Drive:
avz4.zip
gmer.zip
mbam-setup.exe
setup_9.0.0.722_25.02.2010_22-07.exe

What's next?

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
OK, try opening up AVZ with the instructions in my post number 13. (Post numbers are at the top right hand side of each post).

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi, mpascal.

Hi, mpascal.
I

1.Unzip it to your desktop to a folder named avz4

It took me a while to figure out exactly how. Was I supposed to extract avz4 or just avz.exe to the Desktop? I extracted avz4 and double-clicked avx.exe inside the folder.

I ran AVZ. Here are the log files:

Attached File  virusinfo_syscure.zip   38.11KB   162 downloads
Attached File  virusinfo_syscheck.zip   36KB   123 downloads

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
I can't seem to find anything in your logs, are you still having problems?

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I think I uploaded the wrong files. Your instructions don't say what type the files are.

These are the files I see in folder \Desktop\avz4\LOG
Name Size Type
virusinfo_cure.zip 1,247 KB Compressed(zipped)Folder
virusinfo_syscheck.htm 181 KB HTML Document
virusinfo_syscheck.xml 72 KB XML Document
virusinfo_syscheck.zip 36 KB Compressed(zipped)Folder
virusinfo_syscure.htm 196 KB HTML Document
virusinfo_syscure.xml 82 KB XML Document
virusinfo_syscure.zip 36 KB Compressed(zipped)Folder

I attached the above two .zip files.

These are the files I see in compressed folder \Desktop\avz4\virusinfo_syscheck.zip
Name Type Packed Size
avz_sysinfo.htm HTML Document 23 KB
avz_sysinfo.xml XML Document 14 KB

These are the files I see in compressed folder \Desktop\avz4\virusinfo_syscure.zip
Name Type Packed Size
avz_sysinfo.htm HTML Document 23 KB
avz_sysinfo.xml XML Document 14 KB

Which are the right files.

I just tried to attach the two avz_sysinfo.htm files but when I browse to \Desktop\avz4\virusinfo_syscheck.zip I can't open the I can't open the zipped folder in the Choose File to Upload window.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
You uploaded the right files, both those zipped folders contained the files I needed. Are you still having problems at all?

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I don't get it. I've tried uploading the .htm files and it does not work. When I click UPLOAD there is no item on the Manage Current Attachments pullwown.

I am able to upload .txt files.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
I don't need you to upload any files. I need you to tell me if you are having any problems. You can't upload html files on this site.

Advertisements

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

I don't need you to upload any files. I need you to tell me if you are having any problems. You can't upload html files on this site.

My problems are as they were when I openned this topic.
1. I could not run MBAM.
2. I could not run GMER.
3. I had disabled Antivirus System Pro and installed Norton 360 Version 3.0. So I was not experiencing the typical problems associated by Antivirus System Pro and and I still am not.

However, I wanted to get Antivirus System Pro off my system and I still do. I want to clear this malady that causes me to be:

Unable to download MBAM from the internet.
Unable to run Kaspersky after download from the internet.
Unable to download AVP Tool from the internet.
Unable to download AVZ from the internet.
Unable to run GMER After download from the internet.
Unable to attach the output files from AVZ.

Most of the questions I ask you don't answer but please answer this these two about
your Post#13:
When you said Attach both virusinfo_syscure.zip and virusinfo_syscheck.zip which files did you mean?

Didn't your instructions for attaching a file describe how to upload a file?

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
I already told you that you uploaded the right files. The files that you attached in post 20 were the ones I needed.

Can you try installing and running Malwarebytes.

Most of the questions I ask you don't answer

What questions exactly have I not answered?

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Before you try installing Malwarebytes, run this as well.

Please download rkill.com to your desktop

Once it is downloaded, double-click on the rkill.com in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with Security Central and other Rogue programs. Please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and ends them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically close and you can continue with the next step. If you get a message that rkill is an infection, do not be concerned. This message is just a fake warning given by Security Central when it terminates programs that may potentially remove it. If you run into these infections warnings that close Rkill, a trick is to leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this typically will allow you to bypass the malware trying to protect itself so that rkill can terminate Security Central . So, please try running Rkill until malware is no longer running. You will then be able to proceed with the rest of my instructions.

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again.

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I had a list of questions but I never asked them. One has been answered by this last download/install of MBAM.

Here is the MBAM log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3808
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

3/1/2010 1:32:54 AM
mbam-log-2010-03-01 (01-32-54).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 164856
Time elapsed: 14 minute(s), 5 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Is Antivirus System Pro still there? If it was, MBAM probably would have removed it.