Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Temporary hang on startup

• Please log in to reply

Gswiss

Gswiss

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Under XP-SP2 Home, the boot process appears to hang for a while (2 to 3 minutes) and then completes successfully. The notebook then works fine. This situation appeared all of a sudden. Checked for viruses and spyware. Did a repair install, all to no avail.

The Autoruns application doesn’t help because it just indicates what’s running but it doesn’t give any startup order nor identify loading times.

Is there a utility which could pinpoint the item which is holding up the boot process?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope this is a step by step resolution. First is to look at your Startups
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks for the tip. It's on a friend's laptop, so I'll post back tomorrow

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem we will continue to monitor this topic for your response.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Unchecked all items in the startup list => there was no change in the temporary bootup freeze

Ran Bootvis and followed instructions obtained from . There was no change at all either on the reboot. I'm back to square one.

Four observations:

1. When using Bootvis 1.3.37, the vertical brown line around which the "repaired" items are supposed to gather was not apparent at all in the Creates screen. On the other screens, neither.

2. It turned out that my friend's daughter installed iTunes on the laptop but he's not certain that things went wrong after that. Anyhow, I don't see how this could affect the boot.

3. As an afterthought, this year (or so) old laptop uses a SATA disk and I had to go through the F6 procedure to install XP. Could something have gone wrong with the disk later on? Probably not as programs would not operate as they do once the boot process is completed.

4. The temporary freeze takes place when the XP landscape appears (after the Welcome screen and jingle). At that point, there are no icons for two to three minutes. The laptop disk indicator light blinks very shortly once in a while. Then the icons appear all at once except those on the system tray. These then load one by one as they normally do.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,

here's the autoruns dump of Everything. Hope you can pinpoint what's slowing down the boot process.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope nothing in there that would be causing the issue. Lets check the drive itself to make sure its not a hard drive problem.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I heard some people complaining about misfires with chkdsk /R. In some cases, they couldn't run their OS anymore. What do you think?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is stopped without finishing it can be a problem.