Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 07 network problems

• Please log in to reply

Thanasakis

Thanasakis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,my name is Thanos. Today my internet service provider(BT) activate the broadband connection into my new property. Just to mention that I just bought my new laptop(OS:windows 07), when I got my laptop started I connected straight to the internet. When I installed the antivirus/windows updates I restarted my computer as it asked. When my pc turned on again the broadband was down.I tried to reset the modem or so but wasn't that helpfull at all. Moreover my flat mate's laptop works perfect concerning the broadband. I called my ISP in order to find out what is going wrong with it,the guy from the company gave me some commands that I typed into the cmd in order to reset the ip etc.still does not work.I am really freaked out cause I need to start work on assignments for my univercity. If you please guys got an idea what is wrong with it please answer to my post.

Thanks a lot for your time,

Regards,

Thanos.

PS: sorry if I double post it but I was looking for the topic that I upload(actually thought that I did it)but I wasnt able to find it.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go!

Try Windows 7 'System Restore' which can 'roll back' your PC to the state it was in before you installed Windows updates, one of which may have affected your laptop's internet connectivity, or it may even be the antivirus that's affected it.

Windows 7 System Restore is explained here:
http://windows7news....system-restore/

When you (hopefully) get up and running again, install the antivirus but don't install any Windows updates just yet. If the problem doesn't re-occur after a couple of days, it's highly likely one of the Windows updates was the culprit. If it was, then you'll need to be more selective about which updates you choose to install -- a good start would be to only install Windows updates marked 'critical', and only choosing non-critical ones after reading the description and deciding if you really need it.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 13 February 2010 - 04:02 PM.