Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time building computer

• Please log in to reply

roadxing

roadxing

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I thinking about building a new computer for myself and i just wanted to see what some people had to say about my choices so far.

Asus MAximus III
Intel i7-860
Corsair MXs3 4GB DDR3 1600
WD 1 TB 7200 rpm HD
Windows 7 pro
Sunbeam 680W ATX12V power supply
EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB 256-bit DDR3
LG W2053TQ-PF 53 Series 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor (?)

and some other misc stuff...

any suggestion/improvements
what should i expect out of this set up?

what would be a good wireless card for this?

thanks

Edited by roadxing, 12 February 2010 - 05:50 PM.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
It would be helpful to know what you'll be using your new PC for. The i7-860 is a good quad-core CPU and the Asus is a good motherboard, but if you plan to simply surf, compose email, and play the occasional Flash game, then the CPU/motherboard is much more than you need. The GeForce 9800 GT is an older product and you can probably get more performance with a newer product. The PSU should go. Look at a Corsair CMPSU-550VX or 620HX or a Seasonic unit with 550W output.

If you can find $100-130 in your budget for a 30-40GB SSD like the OCZ Vertex or the Intel X25-V, go for it. Used for running the OS and a few smaller apps, it is the single best way to speed up a system. A small partition on a conventional hard drive can be used for the pagefile if you wish.

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I was going to ask if you were using it for games, because it's also my opinion that the video card doesn't match the CPU. Your CPU will be able to handle any game that I know of but the video card will be the bottleneck. It's not a bad card for the money (I have one almost, if not identical) but my system has a much slower CPU.

I agree that if you are not running newer games or doing video editing you should definitely consider a less expensive CPU. I'm sure there's other things that CPU would be good for, those are just the 2 that come to mind, but as far as I know it won't improve surfing the net or email. I suppose it's possible if you had enough open windows, although I have no idea how many open windows it would take to slow down a dual core. lol

Edited by SpaceInvader75, 18 February 2010 - 03:49 AM.