Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wondows won't Start

• Please log in to reply

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
It's Western Digital WE Scorpio, WD2500B EVE-00WZT0 WD2500BEVE
Drive Parameters LBA 488397168 250.00GB
WD P/N WD2500BEVE-00WZT0 S/N WXCY08A60276

I think that is all the pertinent information off the back of the drive. Of course the order information is unavailable on the computer. I hope this helps. Cheers, Jim

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok that does show it as a 250 gig hard drive.
Can you go into the bios and see if there is a hard drive auto detect option somewhere. If so try it and see if it can identify the drive correctly.
Let me know what you find out.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I cannot find anything to "suto-detedt" the hard drive, or to change any of the settings on the hard drive. Cheers, Jim

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK is there any way to get a pic of the first bios screen so I can instruct you?
Depending on who makes the bios will determine how it auto detects the HD.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Here is the first Bios page. I can send more if it would help. Cheers, Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture.jpg

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I'm sorry about the resolution, but if I try to send it in a Word documemt it's above 500k. Cheers, Jim

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I see where it has 7 pages total. Have you gone though all 7 pages and checked for anything about hard drives, hardware, auto detection?
Also how old is the system itself?
I think I know the problem but let me know the age so I can verify.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
OK, I tried it again, and here's a much better picture. Sorry, it says I can't upload this type of file. It was a Word document with a much better picture of the screen, but I wasn't allowed.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
The system was new in July of 2003. I looked through the pages and don't see anything about hardware, hard drives, or auto detection.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm wondering if your bios won't see anything larger then a 130 or 150 drive.
Is there anything in your bios about LBA ?
As much as I hate to admit it the issue is the drive not being identified correctly.
Is there another system you can hook that drive into as a slave and see if it is identified correctly then?
That would tell us for sure if it is a drive or your bios that is causing the issue.

Advertisements

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I've been through all the seven pages, and could not find anything about LBA. There was a reference to it on the back of the hard drive, "Drive Parameters LBA 488397168 250.00GB" but not in the Bios. Keep in mind that this drive worked great for nine months. I don't know whether the bios identified the Primary Hard Drive as 137GB, or 250GB when the system was working, but it worked fine.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
When my old drive arrives with the module to attach it by USB, I'm hoping I can get some useful information with it connected. I hate to take a chance on messing up my wife's machine by trying to replace her drive with mine. Cheers, Jim

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
lBA stands for large Block Access and is on every drive now. SATA doesn't need it as much as the older types did.
Let's try to get back to the windows then.
Did you try the Parallel Installation I suggested before?

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I haven't tried the parallel installation, but I will now. Can I later undo it, and undo the partition if I want? Cheers, Jim

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No new partition. It will install in a new directory next to your existing windows. When asked name the new dorectory like Windows0
That is a zero not a ohhhhhhhh :)