Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I simply can't connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply

ChestRockwell2444

ChestRockwell2444

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So the other day my PC for some reason just messed up, I couldn't reboot it..so I had to re-install Windows XP(home edition). I wiped everything and re-formatted the PC, so I lost all my files.

Well, re-installation went fine and the PC works, it's just now I can't connect to the internet. I've installed the appropriate drivers..yet STILL I can't connect. I go to network settings and check them, my status shows me as connected to the internet, yet when I open up a browser it just doesn't connect.

Now to give my PC specs: Pentium 4 2.53ghz processor, 1 gb of ram(a bit low I know), windows xp home edition(only service pack 1 since I cant connect to d/l updates). I don't think its an update problem cuz the PC I'm on now is plugged into the same modem and everything and only has SP1 and it's working.

Anyways my PC is a dell computer, my ethernet adapter is from Broadcom,specifically a Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller. My Dell is a dimension 2400 model.

So I went to Dell's site and first I got this driver: http://support.dell....mp;fileid=84196

I installed it, everything seemingly went fine. Then when I go to network connections..it says local area connection is disabled. So I click enable..and it goes "connection failed!".

So I completely uninstall that driver and delete all the files from it(but nothing else).

So then I download this driver: http://support.dell....p;fileid=198980

It installs fine, I go to network connections and then to local area connection, I click "enable" and it connects fine. It shows my status as connected. I had also downloaded a broadcom diagnostic tool which gives you readings of the drivers..it said the driver was installed properly in working..said my link status to the internet was ok..I even did a network test by typing in my IP and it passed.

Yet I still can't connect to the internet, I've tried re-starting the PC, I've tried resetting the cable modem itself..heck I even re-installed windows xp a SECOND time and still I get the same problems.

I also know it is not a hardware issue as I had my friend(who works with computers) fully test the hardware and nothing is wrong.

So my question is why can't I connect? I have the right drivers, my local area connection says I am connected. I have no hardware issues, I have no firewalls blocking it or anything, there is no reason I can see why it will not let me get onto the internet. I'm using the same modem now on a different PC(the same exact model PC except this only has 128mb of ram) and the internet works perfectly.

Can someone help me out on what to do? Hopefully a solution that doesn't involve me having to buy anything new for the PC.

Advertisements

Gashlad

Gashlad

• Pip
  • 9 posts
When you say you did a network test what do you mean ?

What IP address, subnet and default gateway is shown in ipconfig ?

maryb12124

maryb12124

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i too am now having this problem, they say its my ethernet card went bad so i looked up how to change it and it looked fairly easy till i opened my puter (its a emachine) and it isnt the same as they show. mine is just a small metal box with the connection to ethernet cable on outside. it appears to be connected to the motherboard, so i cant remove it. grrr anyone have any idea if emachines u have to change the whole motherboard?
thank u
maryb