Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with new PC

• Please log in to reply

NateF

NateF

• Pip
  • 1 posts
System Info:
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-E PRO
CPU: Intel i7 860
Video: Sipphire Radeon HD5870
CPU Cooler: Corsir H50 / Thermaltake "Real Silent"

So I had some bad news when I started my PC yesterday. Immediately after I turned it on I smelled smoke and the computer shut itself down. When I tried to turn it on again it shows a CPU error (on board LED indicator) and shuts off again. So I ended up taking out the hardware to find the source of the problem and I saw that a chip above the PCIex 16x slot has a white speck and does not look like the other chips next to it. see this photo.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the chip info (printed on chip):
ASM1440 TC
Q0Y976100A 0933

A little background... My PC was running ok for about six weeks with the Thermaltake air cooler (CPU temp around 35-45 C). So I decided to go with the Corsair H50 enclosed water-cooler. I installed the H50 on Thursday and ran it for about 4-5 hours with no problems (CPU temp 20-35C). I also had it on for 3-4 hours on Friday with no problems. When I went to start my PC on Saturday is when I noticed the problem. :)

I'm suspecting the H50 is to blame, but it could also be my MOBO. I'm hoping my $430 video card or my $300 cpu wasn't damaged.

Can anyone give me some info on possible causes? Or has anyone had similar experiences with ASUS? Is there a way to check if my CPU or Video card was damaged also?

Advertisements