Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant sign into windows. Automatically signs off. Help.

• Please log in to reply

StackVibe

StackVibe

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Whenever i sign into one of the users. The desktop wallpaper come up for like a split second and then the user signs back off bringing me back to the users window. This happens with all users as well as in safe mode. Ive read up on similar topics and everyone says to fix it i would need to just boot the computer from the windows installation cd and use the recovery console. The problem is for some reason the cd is not being booted from. I even changed the order up so that the CD ROM is the first to be read. Nothing. What can i do?

Advertisements

StackVibe

StackVibe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Can anyone help me out with this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What cd are you using to boot to?
Is it a full installation disk or a upgrade?
Is it Genuine or a Recovery disk?
Is it store bought or downloaded.

StackVibe

StackVibe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Im using the Windows Xp Professional genuine full installation cd that came with the computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a branded computer or a custom built?
When you said you made the cdrom the first to boot did you do this?

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.