Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing Motherboard Processor and Ram

• Please log in to reply

FOVR

FOVR

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I change the old motherboard, the processor and the ram for a new ones, I just put all together into the case and connect my old SATA hard drive with my windows pro and lots of specialized software in it.

The Bios recognizes the drive and everything else, Windows start running, the XP logo over the black screen appears the green dots begin to pass and suddenly the computer restarts itself... and again and again, even in safe mode or any other mode.

I thought i was lost all my data but... if I connect back the old parts the disc works perfectly.

Now I don't know what to do.

Pleas Help.

Thank you.

P.D. The old Motherboard was an Asus with Athlon with Kingston Ram, the new ones are Asus, Phenom and Kingston. The HD is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250gb.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Your XP system is setup for the older motherboard and hardware drivers. So, because it does not recognize the new hardware you have installed it just restarts itself and see's the same setup again and restarts again.

You need to use a XP CD and reinstall windows again. Then install the drivers needed for the new hardware. While you can do a repair install, i am NOT a big fan of this method. I have had more problems than good installs with that method. I would go for a clean install after backing up everything you want to save. You may think it's a PITA, but i find its less time consuming than a repair install( especially when you are charging customers for this).

SRX660

FOVR

FOVR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you SRX660, The problem is I have a lot of special accounting 3rd party software already installed that is impossible to get again.

By the way I try with a repair Install with the same results... its frustrating.

Thanks again.