Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP is unable to find a certificate to log you on to the networ

• Please log in to reply

mattnanokid

mattnanokid

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
[b][b]Hello, I'm new to Geeks to Go, and I'm not sure if this has been posted or not, but anyway,

When I try to connect my older, Windows XP computer to my home network via a linksys wireless USB adaptor, it says: "Windows is unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network." I have tried the solution where you go to the Authentication tab of your network settings, and uncheck the option IEEE 802.1x, but it does not work. If you know of any other solutions for this problem that would be great!http://www.geekstogo...lt/laughing.gif

Thanks,
Matt

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go!

If you're wireless router is set up to use WPA encryption, make sure you've set it to 'WPA-PSK' and not WPA-RADIUS

If that is not relevant to you (eg you don't use WPA encryption) then I have also read that installing SP3 has fixed the problem for many XP users.

Please be aware that to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), either Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) or Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) must already be installed.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 17 February 2010 - 11:20 AM.

mattnanokid

mattnanokid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Okay, I installed SP3, and it worked! My internet works flawlessly, that is, for now.

miscreant

miscreant

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok. so here's the deal. Im running XP SP3, the network authentication is open, data encryption is WEP, network key is keyed in and I've unchecked the box for IEEE 802.1x authentication. It still pops up saying it can't find the certificate. Please advise :D

P.S. It works fine if I plug into the router, it's just the wireless that won't connect.

Edited by miscreant, 22 December 2010 - 07:27 AM.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Have you tried phillipcorcoran's suggestion to make sure that it's WPA-PSK?

miscreant

miscreant

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried that, it says that "the network key needs to be 128 or 256 bits depending on the network connection. This can be entered as 8 to 63 ascii characters or 64 hexadecimal characters"

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Ok, what if you have the Wireless Network Connection repaired? What happens?

miscreant

miscreant

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, now it's saying that it's connected, but I can't get any web pages up and none of the internet services are connecting

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Download WinSockXPFix and run it.

miscreant

miscreant

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Its aliiiive! thanks a lot amlak, it's been driving me crazy for days. Really appreciate it :D

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Great! This deserves a good night of sleep for me. Enjoy your computer.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Posted Today, 01:26 PM
Ok. so here's the deal. Im running XP SP3, the network authentication is open, data encryption is WEP, network key is keyed in and I've unchecked the box for IEEE 802.1x authentication. It still pops up saying it can't find the certificate. Please advise :D
P.S. It works fine if I plug into the router, it's just the wireless that won't connect.
This post has been edited by miscreant: Today, 01:27 PM

Unless I have misread this, the above post was made TODAY 22 December by miscreant on a thread started by mattnanokid on 17 February and resolved with just one post and his reply on 18 February.

jimw99

jimw99

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have the same problem.

recommendation was: Please be aware that to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), either Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) or Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) must already be installed.

question:
1)how do i check if Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) or Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) is already installed.
2) where can i download Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)

thanks in advance

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
PM sent to jimw99 advising new thread.