Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toggle Keys anomaly - what's going on?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
In XP I can set up toggle keys to make a sound when I press Caps Lock on PCs but when I try on laptops and netbooks there is no sound (speakers on and volumes up).

This doesn't seem right - any explanations or help please?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
These sounds are made by the system speaker. Most laptops just don't have a system speaker these days.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for your response.

What do you mean by a system speaker? How is the speaker system on laptops different? And why - seems strange.

Edited by Plutox, 17 February 2010 - 04:52 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Modern laptops and netbooks don't have system speakers.
The system speaker is a hardware speaker that is connected to a motherboard and its primary use is to generally allow the system to beep at you if something's gone so badly wrong that it can't write anything on the screen.
The same principle is theoretically possible on laptops, but since they get smaller and cheaper (and if they do have board problems they won't beep anyway rendering them scrap) the speakers have fallen out of use.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks Neil for that info.

I am surprised that from all the mags I've gone through, even the 'novice' ones like ComputerActive and Webuser from 3 odd years ago to recently,I have never seen this pointed out. They give the instructions to activate this feature but don't say this won't work on laptops - very odd.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The Accessibility options will work on any version of Windows on any machine you care to mention as they're part of the operating system. The beeps themselves probably won't on modern laptops.