Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Status' disk?

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
since you rebooted did you try to go to add/remove programs in the control panel and start uninstalling all the net framework

Advertisements

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Yes, I tried that right away...got the same message about not being able to access the installer.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get Windows Installer 4.5 AND Windows Installer 4.5 fix (KB958655)...
you will have to scroll down to the xp section to see them...
install Windows Installer 4.5 first...reboot and then run the Installer 4.5 fix...
then try removing the net framework...you may not be able to remove them all but remove any you can...

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I went to install windows installer 4.5 and got the same message about not being able to access the installer. I rebooted just for fun, tried again, and got the same thing.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then we have no choice but to repair windows...
for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I do have the CD. I did the repair right before all of this started, and when I was searching the windows support website, it sounded like the problems installing updates are common after a repair. I guess it won't hurt to try it again?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
nope... it won't hurt to try it again...but this time create a restore point before getting all the updates and only do about 10 at a time and make sure you only get the net framework 3.5 SP1...(uncheck all the others)
then after that try only getting NET Framework 1.1...then back to windows update getting about 10 at a time and create a restore point and a reboot in between the updates...

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Sounds good! Just so I'm clear, should the 3.5 SP1 be the very first thing I do, then NET Framework 1.1, and then 10 at a time?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...but on the first pass see if there is a newer msi installer (like windows installer 3.0 or 4.5) offered in the updates..if so get it and net framework 3.5 SP1...then lets make sure you can get net framework 3.5 SP1 installed
just those 2 updates to start with...

Edited by happyrock, 23 February 2010 - 08:38 AM.

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
OK, the repair is mostly done. It rebooted after it was done, and now I'm stuck in this black screen with the windows XP logo, and it says "please wait" under that with the hourglass. This happened to me the last 2 times I did the repair a copule of weeks ago, and I had to do a hard reboot.

Also, during the repair I got these error messages:

ngen.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetRequestedRuntimeVersion could not be located in the dynamic link library mscoree.dll

AND

.NET Framework Initialization Error
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll could not be loaded

The first one I got several times--had to click through it probably 10 times. The .NET Framework Initializaton Error was only once.

Does this change anything about the updates? I'll wait a few more minutes on this black screen, but it's not looking like anything is goign to happen.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
The mscoree.dll error message could apply to any program or system that might utilize the file or can also be hardware related...
so try booting into safe mode with only your keyboard mouse and monitor connected

do you have all your data backed up

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I am able to boot into safe mode, and I have everything backed up.

Edited by magaggie, 23 February 2010 - 12:00 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
although its admitting defeat (and I hate to)... it may be time for a clean install

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Ahh well, it was worth a try. :)

Should I even try installing the updates gradually, or will that not work?

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I've been playing around with the updates a little. I figured it couldn't hurt, since I was at the point of a clean install anyway. The only available update it showed at first was Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1, and I installed that successfully. There was no .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. I rebooted, and then windows update had a big list of updates, but the only .NET Framework it wanted to install was 1.0 SP3 Security Update for Windows XP Tablet PC and Media Center (that was in Windows Update, which gives me a slightly different list than the Microsoft Update). I tried that, and it failed, so I decided to go back to what you said about uninstalling all versions of .NET Framework and starting over. I scanned for updates in Microsoft Update instead (the website rather than clicking the yellow icon in the tray), and the only high priority update it listed was Windows XP Service Pack 3, so I just went ahead and did that. After the update I still wasn't seeing anything about .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, so I manually searched for it. I kept getting an error saying I didn't have permisson to download it. I finally got it by right clicking and doing a "save target as", and then running it after that, and it downloaded and installed successfully! After the reboot, I checked microsoft update again, and the only high priority update there is Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5). I ignored that for now and searched for .NET Framework 1.1 and selected that (had to do the right click, save target as thing again), but then when I run it, it wants to install Microsoft .NET Framework SDK (English) 1.1 Setup. Is that the same tihng? Am I even on the right track doing this? I just wanted to try one more time since I'm 2+ weeks into this process (starting with the spyware/virus stuff) and hate to do a clean install after all of this work. Thanks!