Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help :( DVD Rom drive wont let me change regions!

• Please log in to reply

bada55

bada55

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have two DVD ROm drives in two different PC's. I decided to use my last option to revert back to Region 2 on both of them but they both show the same warning message. Firstly it says " This is the last chance to chage the region setting on your dvd drive etc" and then when I click ok it then shows "DVD region change error - Unable to update region setting. Please make sure the drive contains a region 2 media and you have administration privilege"
I am using XP Pro with service pack 2. I try to use a region 2 disc like it suggests and I am the only person using this PC so I am always signed in with Administration privilege arent I? Or am I missing something?

I downloaded AnyDVD to get me out of this problem for now as it fools the hardware into thinking any disc is the Region 1 it is stuck on. But that runs out shortly as its a trial and to be honest I dont want to pay for something just because there seems to be a problem with both my DVD roms.

I am using a Pioneer DVD106 and a Samsung SD616T. The only method I know to alter the region is to right click on the drive shown in my comp. Go to properties. Click hardware tab then highlight the correct hardware and click properties. Select the Region tab and do the rest.

Is there another way to do this that may work? If not and there is no way out can someone let me know where I can get the region free firmware or similar? Both drives are old now, although they work great so I am prepared to take a chance with firmware upgrades if neccessary.

Advertisements