Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gpu and psu compatibility

• Please log in to reply

synnix

synnix

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently had an 8600gt go bad on me after three years of faithful service. Its being replaced with a BFG geforce gts 250, already purchased for a price that beat out everything else.

This particular card requires a [combined] rating of 24A on the +12v rail, and a single 6-pin connector.

The generic psu (no brand labeled, came with el cheapo power-up case) I'm running on for the moment is 450w and 25A on a single +12v rail. I wouldn't trust it with my new investment, and barely trust it with my newer build. I can't get a new psu just yet. A friend sent me one via mail, but they didn't know all the specifications and didn't have whatever paperwork would have come with it. I couldn't locate a non-broken link to the company's website.

To get to the point, it is an Ultra xFinity 800w. Model# ult-xf800g. It has four +12v rails, each rated at 20A, combined wattage 660. There are two 6-pin connectors, one labeled "+12v 3" and the other "+12v 4". Are these all single, then? Or combined?

I need to know if its worth the risk connecting my new card to them. If not, I'll just wait and get the corsair I have my eye on. I would, however, like to have a graphics card again.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The amperage is shared between multiple +12v Rails. If you look at the diagram on Ultra's Website HERE you can see that. Notice the 660 watt is spread across all +12v rails.

Using the equation Volts x Amps = Watts you can divide 660watts by 12volts to get a total(combined) of 55amps. It is a fairly beefy power supply. You should be able to run the GTS 250 with no problems.

I'd still recommend a Corsair PSU though, as it is 80 plus certified and will provide clean and stable power to your system, especially when under load when gaming.

I hope that helps. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 19 February 2010 - 05:31 PM.

synnix

synnix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That helps perfectly. I'll definitely be getting the corsair at some point - this one won't fit in the case that's also set as a future purchase. Just have to solve the lack-of-employment issue first. I wasn't going to turn down a free psu!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I wasn't going to turn down a free psu!

I don't blame you! :)

According to the link I gave you, it is 78% efficient, which is close to 80. I've seen worse, trust me. :)