Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu? motherboard? psu?

• Please log in to reply

kenyasing

kenyasing

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I took apart my friend's dell inspiron 5100 to clean it because of overheating issues. He said it kept shutting down on him and he'd have to wait an hour or so to turn it back on. I cleaned a huge dust bunny out from the behind the fan. This is the first time I ever worked on a laptop though and I'm sorry to say I didn't really know what I was doing. I removed the cpu by mistake and then put it back. Computer would not start, so I checked the cpu's pins. One was bent over. I bent it back into the right position and reseated the cpu. Unfortunately, in doing all of this, I didn't yet own an ESD wristband, so I just grounded myself as best as possible before working on it.

Anyway, here is what the computer does:

I turn on the power switch and the power ligth comes on, no hard drive light at all, I can hear the fan spinning. No beeps...doesn't sound like it's going through POST at all. I removed RAM and still no beeps. I also get NO video at all. Screen is completely black. To shut it back off, I only have to tap the power button and it immediately shuts off.

Now my friend said that his boys had tripped over the power cord a lot of times and there was definitely a short in it because he had to wiggle it to see the screen brighten up (as if it were getting more power).

I took the battery out of the computer and plugged the laptop directly into the wall...after a while of fiddling with it, it started acting differently...suddenly the power ligth would only stay on for about 3 or 4 seconds and then it would shut down by itself.

I gave up on it.

After about 2 months, I just went back to it today to see if it acted any differently. Battery pack is in and it turns on now and stays on until I shut it off. Still no post, no lights (except power), no display and no beeps.

PLEASE HELP ME...I'M GOING NUTS WITH THIS THING!

Thanks,
Kenya

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
When the CPU was installed with a pin "bent over", as soon as you applied power, there is a good possibility that it cross-connected something that shouldn't have been and instantly destroyed it. The damage may only be within the CPU itself but, the short could have also damaged other components on the motherboard. :)