Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Media Center 2005

• Please log in to reply

outback_2007

outback_2007

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I bought a new HP M7300e series pc back in 2006. And after I had it for a few days I made the recovery set, (3 Dvdr's). Ever sence I have had nothing but trouble with this set of disk. Here's what I mean, it installs fine, (but it's bloated) :) The problem is shortly after doing a clean wipe, and installing the recovery partition, and O.S, then I put Antivir, or any other AV my firewall will go to turnning off/on buy itself. This set has a ton of things in it that I have no need for. I need just the basic operating system. I think before I made the recovery disk set something must have got on to my harddrive, and after useing the recoery set it apears every time. I have reloaded my pc countless times, and the same thing happens after every install. A lot of times, I'd just install a freeware firewall and not worry about it, but I'm getting tired of all this. I cant afford to go buy a new O.S.

Can I aquire a Legal Copy of an OEM Disk, and use my Legit OEM key that came on my new tower? One that don't have all the added programs that was bundled with my pc when I got it?

I'm not totaly sure if this was SP1 or 2 when I got the pc, seems like it's maybe SP1, because best as I can remmber I have to download SP2 and above after each install, or recovery.

I sure hope someone can give me some good news, and I'm at wits end.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Here is mainly what I need to know. If I get a copy of a "OEM windows xp media center 2005 disk" And use my Legal product key on my tower, is MS o.k with that?
Long as I'm useing the product key that came on my pc which I bought new.

This is the only thing I know to do, as I'm afraid my recovery set is some how corrupt.

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Yes Bill is cool with that as long as you use your own product key. :)

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Yes Bill is cool with that as long as you use your own product key. :)

I thought he might be. Now I just need to figure out if my Edition was originally SP1, or would it matter if I got a SP2 version, would my Key work?

Thanks so much for the reply.

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I thought the key on my tower was oem. But it does not say oem on the sticker.
Been digging around on the net to identifi what I have. I'm about stumped. :)

I have a HP M7300e Bought new from HP. The sticker on the side of the case Says
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.
-------------------------------------
HP and then the Product Key.

So I'm guessing it's a Branded Key?
And I didn't get any disks at all. Only the option to make a set of recovery disks.

I'm just trying to figure out what options I have? What kind of disk Mister Gates will let me use, so I can put my key in and get it worlking with out going back thru the recovery set. Grrrr LOL

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I am pretty sure that it came with SP2 because sp2 was released in 2004 and your computer said Media Center 05. It would not be SP3 because it was released in 08 so it is most likely SP2. I addition you said it was a HP so you almost for sure have an OEM version.

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I am pretty sure that it came with SP2 because sp2 was released in 2004 and your computer said Media Center 05. It would not be SP3 because it was released in 08 so it is most likely SP2. I addition you said it was a HP so you almost for sure have an OEM version.

The sticker on the tower does say media center edition 2005, so it's spcific to SP2?
Or rather 2005 came with SP2 in it?

Just cant figure out why the sticker does not say OEM.
Examples of stickers I looked at online say OEM on the sticker on the tower I belive.
Also I saw this:
http://www.technibbl...e-key-you-have/

And it seems to indicate the Branded PC's like HP, even thou the sticker does not say OEM, it really is.

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I am sure you copy of xp is SP2 look here http://en.wikipedia...._Center_Edition version 04 was had sp2 I'm sure version 05 has it as well. Looking here http://www.technibbl...e-key-you-have/ i can see that an OEM version is sold most major computer companies like HP what you have and it could not be retail because you would not get a sticker to place on your computer it is stuck to the pouch of the CD. For branded it is also just for computer companies like dell. All the the other possibilities are highly doubt full that you have. I can say that I am sure you have an OEM version with SP2

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks Willmon2000, you have been a great help. I'm going to reinstall my OS, and not do any updateds froom the recovery, and see for myself, not that I doubt you. But me thinks HP *#$%ewed Me some how. I believe they installed 2002 edition, and updated it prior to shipping it. Only thijng is it has the party dancer, and some other stuff that the 2005 came with. Unless all this was added to the 2002. I'm not sure, I'll be back in a few hours with the verdict.

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
After reinstaling my recovery disk set.(3 Disk's) That I made after getting this pc Brand New form HP. Here is what I have.
In the control panel, under system it says.

Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

-----------------------------------
Now on my tower it says
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

Nothing has been tampered with in anyway.

Why does it say in the control panel, 2002, and on the case the license key has 2005?

Edited by outback_2007, 20 February 2010 - 12:34 PM.