Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winXPpro login & auto logout

• Please log in to reply

dez93_2000

dez93_2000

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys, was there ever any resolution to any of these not caused by malware? If there's a new thread bandwagon to be jumped on, well sign me up: i've just gotten exactly the same problem with few changes made recently (installed windows update: windows installer 3.1), everything working fine, shut winamp and things started freezing, couldn't make task manager run, it wouldn't shut down so i killed it and now i'm in the login/logout loop with normal & admin users, safe mode, cmd prompt, last known good, the works. I'm all ready with BartPE (its been a good month ) but can't think of anything that could have caused this. Progs seem to run fine when i'm in BartPE too, giving no indication of what's up. Supergrateful for any (more) ideas gents!
Si

I decided i couldn't sit around scratching my head about why my PC had decided to ruin another one of my weeks, so i opted for repair install. Should be simple, however my product key doesn't reigster. Maybe i had it wrong, maybe the one i was using wasn't the one in stalled on my PC? I used an xp keyfinder from BartPE and tried that: wrong. I used the serial linked to the disc that my friedn sent me since i lost my XP bootdisc a while back: nope. The serial from the disc i borrowed from another friend to reinstall with a week ago: nope. My original install serial: nope. So now i'm faced with having to move all my filees and folders AGAIN and doing a full reinstall AGAIN after this inexplicable problem kicked me out of my system. Not only that, but assuming i DO do a full reinstall, there's no reason for me to believe that any of the 4 product keys i now have will work, despite them ALL being legit. Can anyone think of why the serial registered to the machine wouldn't work? It's possible that my first friend's disc was winXPpro OEM and the second friends is standard, that's all i can think of. Any ideas? I'm considering taking up a new life as a caveman
cheers all, sorry for the serious sense-of-humour failure
si

:tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
There are at least three types of windows installs and all require different cdkeys

Retail
Upgrade
OEM

Furthermore, certain large OEMs have the ability to install pre-activated windows installations. If you extracted a key from such a system, it will nto match the key stuck on the side of your machine.

If you have such a system, they usually come with a recovery method, either by cd, dvd or hidden partition.