Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card - Suggestions welcomed

• Please log in to reply

misterc

misterc

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi all,I'm hoping I can get some advice on what graphics card would be suitable for my PC and needs.

I've pre ordered Battlefield Bad Company 2 and I read some where that the minimum requirements graphics card was a Nvidia GF7800 with 256MB.

I have a nVidia GF 7950 GT with 512MB. I'm not really a hardcore gamer.....I just want to upgrade so that I am 'covered' for the next couple of years to enjoy this and any other future games/videos ect, that come along.

So here are a few details to start with.

My System:

7950 GT(X) 512MB 256BIT 550/1400MHz PCI-Express
2GB (2x1024MB) DDR2-RAM PC667
Mainboard: Asus P5NSLI with NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI IE
Intel Pentium DCPU 3.40GHz
Windows XP

My thoughts:

It's got to be a PCIexpress nVidia DDR2 with at least 512MB but 1024MB would also be considered with the price in mind.
My mainboard is DDR2 and I don't really want to replace the mainboard for a DDR3 one at this time.

I'm not too keen on passive cooling, this is due the advice from a mate and I think a graphics card with a fan on board is better......maybe I'm wrong?

Price wise, I would consider paying a good price for a good card that would be worth it in the long run but I'm not really willing to start buying new mainboards and the such just to get that 'next one better' card up the series line.

So if anyone out there has any good advice on what card I should be looking for then please let me know.

All advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance, MisterC

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
all good graphic cards for gaming come with active cooling. Only low end video cards come with passive cooling.

So, the cards I would look at are the :

ATI/AMD
5770, 58580, or 4870.

NVIDIA: 9800gtx or gtx260

I didn't recommend anything higher because your not that kind of gamer. Spending 600 for a video card isn't what I would recommend. What I would suggest is the 5770 and more ram.

If you have more questions or need more suggestions just let us know.