Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Help] Unique Problem

• Please log in to reply

Sligh

Sligh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. I am currently having a problem seeing anything on my computers monitor. -By anything, I do mean everythng. I cannot even see the startup menus or prompts.

What happened, exactly?

I wanted to hook up my other computer to the new TV I had recently purchased, instead of going to a professional, or having some stranger do it and me learn nothing from it, I decided I'd do it my self.

1.)Hooked up the cables from my PC to my Television.

2.)Went in to my Graphics cards control panel, set the Television as a NEW display. Then, set the Television as my PRIMARY display device. (Stupid thing to do. I know that now.

3.)Accidentally turned my computer off, I turned it back on, and I can't see a darn thing. No Windows screen, no menu telling me the boot, setup, or recovery keys/options.

4.)I removed the graphics card I had previously installed, expecting to have the onboard graphics card display the contents of my screen so that I could access the settings and change them back, but this did absolutely nothing. I've done everything I can think of, short of buying a new hard drive to solve my problem.

What have I tried?

Removed third party Graphics Card, treed pressing and holding every key I can think of to get into safe mode, removed the battery from the motherboard, removed the jumper switch from the motherboard (switching of positions, from slot 1,2 - 3 being bare, reverted),googled and nothing is working.

Does anybody have an idea on how to solve this problem I'm having?

(Vista OS)

Thanks,

Sligh

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go

Did you manage to get the new TV to display your computer output?
If you did, just use that with PC attached to get back into Display Settings and reset primary display device back the way it was. Disconnect TV, re-connect monitor.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What happens if you keep pressing the F8 key while the computer is starting up? Do you get this window?

http://img337.images...1/lowresie0.jpg

You should be able to get back to your regular display after doing the above and rebooting the computer into normal mode.

SRX660