Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build Compatability

• Please log in to reply

Gaberial

Gaberial

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
My question is this, I am looking into building a new computer and want to double check compatability for the parts. I did some looking through the forems and didnt turn up very much on general tips for computer part compatability. I am still fairly new to it all but wanna make sure the parts im buying will work together. If there is a thread ive overlooked i would greatly like to be pointed in the right direction. If it would be easyer just to post the parts ive decided on thus far i can do that as well.

Thank you!

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

If there is a thread ive overlooked i would greatly like to be pointed in the right direction. If it would be easyer just to post the parts ive decided on thus far i can do that as well.

It's funny you mention that, I just submitted a thread to be reviewed for a "How-to-Guide" for this very same thing. It is somewhat hidden. Here it is: Building a New Computer: Are My Parts Compatible?

Though I can help confirm compatibility too if you want to list your parts. (Provide Links) It's really up to you. :)

Let me know.

Edited by Ferrari, 20 February 2010 - 02:19 PM.

Gaberial

Gaberial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Still working on a full list but this is what i have so far

Mobo
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131600

CPU
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115131

Ram
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231193

PSU
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139006

GPU(s)
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814161203
P.S. the GPUs i already own, happy with and should still work just fine.

This is what i have so far, as near as i can tell everything will be compatable but want to double check. Also if ya have any suggestions on the other components for a mid priced gameing rig which is what im aiming for.

Still decideing on the HD, DVD drive, maybe aftermarket CPU heat sink, and case (if i even decide to get a new one, the one i have should work fine but with any new build its tempting lol)

OH would be forever greatful on any suggestions where i could (maybe) find a relatively cheap copy of windows 7, I can get XP for it but getting fed up with 3.5 gigs of ram lol

Edited by Gaberial, 21 February 2010 - 08:12 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
For the same price you can have a newer/better/faster technology with your CPU/MOBO/RAM combo.

CPU i5 750
ASUS P7P55 LX LGA 1156
G.Skill Ripjaws

The power supply looks outstanding, plenty of room to upgrade to crossfire or a bigger card in the future, the mobo I linked to allows crossfire too.

As far as the HD goes, I recommend Western Digital Caviar Black, any size you want. Or if you can afford it, use one of those for storage, and use a SSD(Solid State Disk) for you main OS, a couple of your favorite games... very fast, but pricey.

OH would be forever greatful on any suggestions where i could (maybe) find a relatively cheap copy of windows 7

I always recommend buying an OEM license for Windows. HERE $105 but it doesn't allow you to upgrade the motherboard in the future... it's tied to just that system. I'm not 100% clear on the technical details of all that... MS makes that pretty difficult to understand.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I meant to have you look at this chart... http://www.tomshardw...g...__i7&xtcr=2

As a reference when searching for a CPU. Also, Best Gaming CPU's for the Money is a good one too.

Sorry for the double post.

Gaberial

Gaberial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ok that raises a couple new questions then regarding the OS and Mobo ... if that is the case and I would have to buy a new OS if i wanted to upgrade the mobo im SOL ... im assumeing the same would be the case if the mobo got fried and and had to replace it i would assume anyway? ... and second question is ... what would you recomend then for a mobo that would lend itself to being useful for a longer period of time then ... even if it increases the cost of the mobo ... hopefully without forceing its connected bits to increase in price as well (plan on up gradeing but not everyone can afford a 3,000 dollar build off the bat lol)

oh and i would just like to say ... MS is stupid for doing this with their OSs ... if i wanted i could easly get ahold of cracked copies of W7 but knowing and doing are 2 different things and didnt wanna walk that path and still dont however, but feels like im being cheated for wanting to be an honest user ... gar... anyway thanks once more lol

p.s. sorry for the rant

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go with the W7 upgrade here...
Clean Install Windows 7 Using An Upgrade Disc instructions here...

that raises a couple new questions then regarding the OS and Mobo ... if that is the case and I would have to buy a new OS if i wanted to upgrade the mobo im SOL ..

nope...if you replace the mobo ...you boot up then run a repair on the OS...

check here at the Tech report for their recommendations...
Processor Intel Core i7-860 $289.99
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P $169.99
Memory Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 $79.99
Graphics Asus Radeon HD 5850 $259.99

the total system there is only $1300.00 but using the components you already have would chop at least $500.00 off that

Edited by happyrock, 22 February 2010 - 08:28 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Nice Suggestions, for my own personal knowledge, can this be done with an XP product key? I thought I once heard it cannot.

the total system there is only $1300.00 but using the components you already have would chop at least $500.00 off that

I'm confused, Gaberial never mentioned anything about already having parts, did he?

MS is stupid for doing this with their OSs

Yes, there is a lot of arguments towards MS for how they price and configure their OS's.

what would you recomend then for a mobo that would lend itself to being useful for a longer period of time then ... even if it increases the cost of the mobo

The mobo I recommend already does have room for upgrades, you can go with an i7 socket 1156 and has room for Crossfire Multi GPU Support if you wished in the future.

The same for happyrock's suggestion, but Nvidia SLI Multi GPU support.

The next step up would be socket 1366, and those mobo's and cpu's get quite pricy... the cheapest cpu starting at about $300 by itself.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Nice Suggestions, for my own personal knowledge, can this be done with an XP product key? I thought I once heard it cannot.

yep...you can...

The next step up would be socket 1366, and those mobo's and cpu's get quite pricy... the cheapest cpu starting at about $300 by itself.

you can get a Intel BOXDX58SO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard... here...for $222.00 and that includes shipping

Edited by happyrock, 22 February 2010 - 06:39 PM.