Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice for possible system upgrades for the non-technically minded

• Please log in to reply

Lisnette

Lisnette

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

For playing WoW I have a serious FPS problem in major cities and raids. Dalaran and 10-man raids in particular will see me get 6-15 FPS, while 25-man raids are impossible with 1-4 FPS during encounters. All settings in game are already set to the lowest possible.

I have rather limited knowledge about computers and not sure what info I need to give or where to get it so here goes...

What should I change/upgrade/overhaul with what I currently have:

System Information

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/19/08 15:08:58 Ver: 08.00.12

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 3584MB RAM

Page File: 620MB used, 6899MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Display

Name: ASUS EAH4670 series

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip Type: ATI display adapter (0x9490)

DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Approx. Total Memory: 1024.0 MB

Current Display Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60HZ)

Monitor: Default Monitor

Hopefully this is enough info to help me!

Edited by Lisnette, 20 February 2010 - 08:11 PM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

For playing WoW I have a serious FPS problem in major cities and raids.

Has it always been like this?

You have a fairly powerful processor at 3.4ghz which is probably hyperthreading (like 2 processors in one) at a Front Side Bus of 800mhz. You have 3.5gb of RAM, and your video card is a 1gb 4670 which is probably a dedicated card. Is the video card a dedicated card, or onboard? This is onboard, this is dedicated. You may have to look inside the computer.

From the information you gave, your computer should be handling WoW just fine, I wonder if you just need to perform some maintenance/cleanup of your PC. Look here... Maintaining Your Machine, what makes your machine slow.

Any other problems with the PC? Like Bluescreens, random shutdowns, error codes, etc?

FYI: Here are the system minimum requirements for WoW. HERE You have plenty more than that.

Edited by Ferrari, 21 February 2010 - 09:01 AM.

Lisnette

Lisnette

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there

It's been like this ever since I've started raiding etc, yes. It was once perfectly fine but then my pc blew up somewhat and I had to get a new motherboard and power supply (about 18 months ago)

The motherboard does have an onboard graphics card, but I got the ASUS as a dedicated card afterwards (about a year ago now) when I decided to start playing again.

My graphics card is actually only 512MB - it was only pointed out to me last night that my specs say 1G. Could this be that the onboard card isn't disabled or something of the sort and perhaps causing the problem? My motherboard is ASUS P5KPL-CM SSBOC1600. (I can't imagine them getting the cards mixed up with the wrong box saying 512MB)

I also tried downloading new drivers for the graphics card - newest version being 8.69. It says install complete but the specs still say Ver 6.14...

I'll try the methods you linked for maintenence/cleanup when I get home and see if that helps.

Thanks heaps :)

Edited by Lisnette, 21 February 2010 - 10:29 PM.