Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Interconnectivity lost after 10 minutes

• Please log in to reply

hombi

hombi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. This is my first post so please bear with me.

I have a 2-3 year old Dell running XP and AVG basic for antivirus.

About 2 weeks ago (Feb 7, I think), I started getting a message saying that Roxio Media Manager was trying to install but could not find the necessary files. I had no idea why this was happening and could not get it to stop. I finally downloaded a program to clean the installation database and this problem stopped. About the same time, perhaps coincidentally, I don't know, I found that after each restart that the Internet connection stopped working after about 10 minutes or so. I have other laptops that I use to connect to the same router using WiFi so assume that the router is not the problem. Sometimes, after the connection is lost, when I check the network icon I see that there is no network address.

I tried disabling most programs during start up which I thought were non-essential but this does not make much difference (if any). One program which we left enabled was iTunes as we wanted to download some shows which we have purchased. I started getting the idea that there may bne some link between iTunes and the problem so then disabled this too. Then the internet connection seemed to stay on, at least while I was watching it. When I started iTunes then the Internet stopped working. If I stop and restart the DHCP then I can get the internet to work with some applications, but not with iTunes.

I have run a full anti-virus scan which showed nothing. I have repaired the iTunes installation but this did not change anything.

I use SpyBot for spyware and update this weekly. I install all MS updates as soon as available.

I am at wits' end. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Advertisements