Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP-LAN-NET help

• Please log in to reply

GMAC

GMAC

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey again,
ME and one of my mates have been setting up a small network in his room. It consists of his 2 desktops and my laptop all connected via a netgear hub. The internet connection comes from one of his base stations.

The first problem we had, was that my laptops ip prefix (176 i think) didnt match the 192 used by his 2 stations. That was solved soon enough, using network connections and a bit of ipconfig.

Now, the laptop can see both stations and share network places. It can also "see" the internet connection (Internet Gateway (LAC2 on HOME-IE1S1LWA0H)) through his main station, but whenever i use an internet based program, they just say no connection. Firefox/IE wont connect, MSN wont sign in and Norton wont update.

We have tried running the wizards and restarting all comps but to no avail

Details - 2 main stations are WinXP pro with SP2 and Norton 2006
My Laptop is WinXP Home with SP2 and Norton 2006

Help would be amazing thnx! :tazz:

GMAC

Advertisements

andycain

andycain

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Your problem is with Nortons Antivirus. I used to have it and it caused no end of problems. You can however configure it to allow your computers to communicate. I recommend that you temporarily disable it to test if nortons is the problem.

I am quite sure that is the problem however.

Good luck :tazz:

Andy