Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Not Recognized (Eyetoy)

• Please log in to reply

Shauna Beswick

Shauna Beswick

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, I'm new here. I only just found this forum, and I was wondering if anyone here could help answer this. I have searched high and low for the answer.
Okay, I use my namtai eyetoy as a webcam. But recently, when I plug it in, I just get the little pop-up bubble saying 'USB not recognized'. Sometimes if I let it sit and don't plug it in for a week or so it starts to work again. I've tried deleting the drivers and getting new ones. It won't let me update the drivers, it says the best drivers are already installed. Then when I look at the description of the device, it says no drivers are installed. Anyone know what I can do? Any help is very much appreciated.

Edited by Shauna Beswick, 21 February 2010 - 01:24 PM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Shauna, Welcome to Geekstogo!

Is the driver installed for the webcam?
  • Click Windows Orb (Start)
  • Right Click "Computer"
  • Select "Properties"
  • In the top left corner, Click "Device Manager"
  • Any yellow exclamation points or question marks? Red X's?
Can you give me the name and model number of the webcam? i.e namtai eyetoy 2000

When you see usb device not recognized, this can often be a sign of the device has malfunctioned or quit working.

Edited by Ferrari, 21 February 2010 - 03:09 PM.

Shauna Beswick

Shauna Beswick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No, it shows up as unknown device in device manager.

The model is Sleh-00031.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

This means no driver is installed.

Please read the below quote from wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EyeToy

The camera is mainly used for playing EyeToy games developed by Sony and other companies. It is not intended for use as a normal PC camera, although some people have developed unofficial drivers for it. As of November 6, 2008, the EyeToy has sold 10.5 million units worldwide.

Unofficial Drivers means Namtai never released any drivers that would work with a PC, and that some random people may have wrote some drivers, but they could be anywhere, and I don't know where.

Edited by Ferrari, 21 February 2010 - 03:35 PM.

Shauna Beswick

Shauna Beswick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, I have the drivers. But it won't let me install them.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Yes, I have the drivers

Where did you get them?

Shauna Beswick

Shauna Beswick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I just googled 'namtai eyetoy drivers'.
And most of the results were rapidshares, mine was from filestube i believe.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah I ran across those too... that's the problem, those are "unofficial" drivers which is probably why they aren't working.

Normally, if you need a driver for a device you go to the manufacturer's website and download the driver, and simply install it. Since the drivers we are dealing with aren't from the manufacturer, there is no guarantee they would ever work. The camera was never intended to be used for the PC, most would call this incompatible.

If isn't installing, then the driver just isn't working. That's it. You can try to find a different driver. :) But still no guarantees.

Shauna Beswick

Shauna Beswick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well thank you for the help. (:

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You are very welcome, thanks for saying thanks :) Sorry it's not working out, my final recommendation is to just keep trying different drivers you can find, see if they work. Once the "unknown device" goes away in the device manager, that means the driver installed correctly.

Shauna Beswick

Shauna Beswick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've tried lots of different drivers, they work for a certain amount of time and then stop.
Anyway, I will just have to invest in a proper cam. XD Thanks for the help!

Ralph123

Ralph123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This camera is a 720p type and has 30fps as well as motion detection capabilities and mic. A good camera/mic even by today's standards.
A simple installshield installation program is not available for this particular device by its manufacturer/distributor SONY for what ever reason.
When you plug in a USB device the Plug and Play kicks in and at least communicates the devices name to a computer.
This cam is either a logitech or namtai built device depending on the age of it. Newer ones are namtai built and are black.
Once plugged in and identified by windows only then can a driver be installed by windows through its add hardware wizard.
It seems Windows is not getting ID information from this device.
I have used this camera on my XP pc for many years without innocent until now.
My camera works fine on my PS3 even though the PS3 wasnt even around when this camera was made for the PS2.
PS3 not only recognizes it but under System/Accessories will show you the image from the camera to verify it is working.

When I hear people say to install the drivers for this device, I dont understand what they are saying because there is NO INSTALLATION program for it. Without Windows being able to at least IDENTIFY the device, no driver file(s) can be installed by any other means.

Just like the OP, more then two years later, again, I am asking
"What would keep windows from identifying it ?".
Please dont suggest:
install the drivers.
it isnt supported hardware.
I have a broken device.

Whats frustrating is when you do a search for "Eyetoy is Unknown Device" or any combination there of, all you get are links to threads like this one and links to drivers that you cant install because Windows has no ID information. Since this thread shows up at the top of google when searching key words for this issue, I will be sure to share my findings after I fix this [bleep].

Ralph123

Ralph123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
An Installshield Installation program has been found that worked for eyetoy natami on xp pro 32 bit w/service pack 3, at http://download.cnet...htype=downloads
no telling how long that link will stay valid but, your welcome.

This means no driver is installed.

Please read the below quote from wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EyeToy

The camera is mainly used for playing EyeToy games developed by Sony and other companies. It is not intended for use as a normal PC camera, although some people have developed unofficial drivers for it. As of November 6, 2008, the EyeToy has sold 10.5 million units worldwide.

Unofficial Drivers means Namtai never released any drivers that would work with a PC, and that some random people may have wrote some drivers, but they could be anywhere, and I don't know where.

This means you are not qualified to respond to posts here. I ran accross this thread everytime I did a search for Eyetoy unrecognized device that I had to come in and reply myself. Just because the industry doesnt show support for a product they've abbondoned, doesnt mean some geek somewhere didnt take up the hobby of creating a workaround or even writting some code for a driver in a case like this. Thats why people post questions like this one. Not to get a lesson in how Microsoft or Apple works.

This thread should be deleted.

Edited by Ralph123, 19 January 2013 - 06:25 PM.

yonisade

yonisade

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I think I might have a solution for you all:

Try turning the focus wheel of the eyetoy (around the lense) all the way counter clockwise and then plug in the eyetoy.

eyetoy.png

After I did that, Windows recognized the eyetoy instead of showing "Unknown device".

After that just install the right drivers according to the instructions online.