Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

building a new pc . for gaming

• Please log in to reply

llj143

llj143

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi everyone

i want to set-up a new pc, but right now i want to focus more in the CPU parts... as of now i bought a ati radeon HD 5770, anything you guys can recommend me in some CPU parts? i have $1000 budget :) and also i live in LA maybe you guys recomend me some stores?'

thanks

Edited by llj143, 21 February 2010 - 01:57 PM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I don't know any stores in L.A. but Newegg has great prices. I believe California has to pay taxes when shopping at Newegg though.

Best CPU out is the i7 Socket 1366
Next in line is the i7 Socket 1156
Then arguments begin between the Phenom II x4 900 Series and the i5 Socket 1156.
Closely followed by i3, Athlon II x4.

Take a look at this... Best Gaming CPU's for the Money

Is $1000 budget for the whole build? Or just for the CPU? If for the whole build, I'd recommend the i7 750 with a P55 Board like this Gigabyte or EVGA.

PuppetSin

PuppetSin

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey if your in LA you should check out Fry's Electronics store in City of Industry, they specialize in electronics and computers. As for others, Newegg as Ferrari mentioned is good.

Frys Electronics
Amazon -No Tax for CA (make sure item is being sold by Amazon though)
Zip Zoom Fly
Slickdeals -This is for more all around items but do have good deals on computer parts that are usually limited time items (Which lists from major stores like Newegg and Amazon)

If you want to save some money you could also shop around Amazon.com since you will be saving money on tax + free shipping on orders over 25$.

You could probably build a decent Intel or an AMD build for 1000$, for me I'm heading towards AMD and my calculated budget for that (which I am still currently building) is about $1300.

If you are going for an AMD route, this is what I have which I plan to use for gaming so you can use this for some ideas:

What I have so far:
-AMD 965 BE 3.4ghz AM3 (200$ via Newegg but is now 179$)
-Asus Crosshair III 790FX (199$ via Amazon but is back up in price a little now)
-Corsair 850TX Power Supply (139$ via Amazon price has seemed to stay at that range but you could probably pick up a 750watt which would do you fine for about 100$)
-G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-8-24 (114$ + tax = 126$ via Newegg)
-Coolermaster HAF 932 Full Tower (140$ via Amazon, I think the price went up)
-Corsair H50 CPU Cooler (74$ via Amazon, was on a Gold Box Deal, I think it's 78$ now though)
-Rest of parts have not purchased yet

If you want to pick up some HardDrives (espeically if you live in CA like me) Amazon has Retail Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB harddrives for 89$ flat but wont have any in stock till March 22nd

Hope this helps.