Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse detected but nort working.

• Please log in to reply

MRSO

MRSO

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi. Can anyone please advise me how to get my mouse working. I have an Inspiron 6000 running Windows XP. The USB wheel type mouse actually came as an accessory with the computer a few years ago but, until now, I have only used the touchpad. I have downloaded and updated the driver and, according to the control panel,the mouse is recognised and functioning correctly. The mouse light up and works on another computer - but on mine it has no effect at all. Any advice please ? The mouse does everything but actually move the cursor.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go!

You don't normally need to, but try "disabling the touchpad when a mouse is connected". There should be a setting for that in the touchpad driver software (usually made by 'Synaptics'). Look for the touchpad icon in the system tray and double-click it to open the settings interface.

On my laptop, the touchpad and mouse can be used simultaneously but yours may be different.
Also, try plugging mouse in to a different usb port.

MRSO

MRSO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks very much for this advice. Although I can find various controls in the control panel for the touch pad - some under "system" and some under "mouse", I cannot find one to disable it. (I`ve been searching for an hour). I have a feeling you may be onto something - but I do not know how to find out !

I have tried running a diagnostic check using the computer`s original "drivers" CD. Strangely, the mouse works while in the diagnostic mode but as soon as I exit it (which automatiacally restarts the computer)it stops functioning.

Thanks again.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
In Control Panel (Classic view)>> Mouse

Click the "Device Settings" tab

There should be a 'Disable' button which disables the touchpad for all future Windows sessions.

Alternatively, tick the option to "Disable internal pointing device when external one is attached"

MRSO

MRSO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks again.........but there is no "Device Settings" tab in the "mouse" part of the Control Panel. I have checke all the other tabs repeatedly and there is no option to disable in any way.

However, I think I can remember seeing this option there in the past. Could an update to the driver or something have removed this option ?