Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WD Caviar Black vs Caviar Green

• Please log in to reply

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I was looking to purchase a new hard drive. I was looking at the western digital caviar black WD7501AALS and the western digital caviar green WD7500AADS. They are both the same price and i would just like some feedback and recommendations. Thank you.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Generally speaking the Caviar Black series is the best performing drive of the two, but uses more power. The Green Series is big on power consumption at the same time delivering decent performance. If you want great performance at all costs, then go Caviar Black. If you'd like to save on the energy bill a little, but still have some decent performance, go Green.

Here is a comparison of the two at a trusted Hardware Reviewers Site: Toms Hardware Black vs. Green

You can also see how they compare to all the drives out there... http://www.tomshardw...rmance,659.html I prefer Western Digital, I've heard to many DOA's (Dead On Arrival) with the Seagates, but that's more personal opinion.

Hope that helps :)

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
ok thank you. Now, i want this to last a long time, i have read that the caviar black is very noisy as well. Is that true?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well, I've always used caviar black and it is a lot quieter compared to OEM manufacturers stock hard drives, that is for sure. But honestly, compared to the green series or to seagate, I don't know.

I wouldn't call it noisy, more like you just hear it working. Making that ticking noise from time to time.

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
alrighty, thanks so much. I think im going to go ahead with the black.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I use the theory if it is a storage drive use green. If it is a main or workhorse drive go with the black..

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Yeah, its gonna be a workhorse and not just a storage drive, i went with the black, hopefully itll be here by friday so i can use my desktop again.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

I wouldn't call it noisy, more like you just hear it working. Making that ticking noise from time to time.

Ferrari is correct, the blacks aren't loud at all. I installed 2 x 1GB into an NAS for a friend of mine and I'd say they are quiet.

If you want something fun, go with one of the WD Raptor drives. Mine is so loud I've had multiple people tell me there was something wrong with my computer and I needed a new hard drive. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have a 500 gig and 2 x1tb wd black drives in my system that I just completed a week ago and I don't hear the drives at all. I do hear the 3 220mm fans going but the drives themselves are very quiet.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Wow, 3 x 220mm fans! That machine must be a beast to need that many 220mm fans. :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Here you go if you want to see it.
Cooler Master HAF 932

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Very nice case. What's the little tray for at the top, just a place to set your iPod or flash drive?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep it has a rubber mat in it also so nothing falls through. Also under it has a fill hole for liquid cooling if it is installed

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

If you want something fun, go with one of the WD Raptor drives. Mine is so loud I've had multiple people tell me there was something wrong with my computer and I needed a new hard drive. tongue.gif

I ran a pair of WD Raptors...played with both RAID 0 and 1...to eliminate noise just keep them defraged...if you don't you will get noise because of the "thrashing"(lots of seeking)...
just my 2 cents worth

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I never thought of that before. I do defrag on a regular basis, but until a couple weeks ago, I was using the built in Windows utility. I've since found the JKDefrag program, but haven't run it on the desktop yet. I'll have to do that when I get home and see if she gets any quieter. But then again, I kindof like the thrashing and whirling noises. Well, unless I leave the computer on overnight and it decides to run a virus scan or something. It's woke my wife up before with it being on the other side of our bedroom wall. Needless to say, she wasn't thrilled. :)