Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer keeps turning off when playing games

• Please log in to reply

mrtypr

mrtypr

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I had this problem a while ago and I seemed to fix it. Now it has come back to taunt me!

The problem is when I play a game, especially a very high end graphics game like dragon age or do something on my PC that uses alot of the CPU it will randomly switch off and won’t turn on for at least a few minutes

When this first happened, I disconnected a number of things that could possibly have been the problem while it was not turning back on. I disconnected the video card, my other hard drive and even CD ROM drive, thinking it was a power issue. I also tried booting the computer taking out some of the RAM modules and seeing if it was a faulty RAM module. None of these helped. I do have a 650 watt power supply so it is plenty of power there

When it turns off and can’t turn back on for the next 10 mins or so, I’m watching the CPU fan and it starts spinning then stops, over and over.
Then the next thing to try was to adjust the CPU fail safe temperature. MY CPU might be getting too hot and shutting down due to safety. But I don’t understand why it is getting to hot, my PC is not overclocked or anything.

I reset the BIOS settings and then it stopped turning itself off for at least a few months now it just start doing it recently again

I have uploaded an attachment of my system specs

Attached Files

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well it sure sounds like a overheating problem.

Install PC Wizard (lets check fans and temps):
  • Click PC Wizard in my signature
  • Click PC Wizard 2010.1.93 on the top left
  • Save the file to your Desktop
  • Double Click the setup file
  • Follow installation instructions
  • Once installed, open PC Wizard up
  • Click "Tools"
  • Select "Options"
  • On the "View" tab, tick "sensors in real time"
  • On the "Monitoring" tab, tick "force fan detection"
  • Click OK
  • Click the Posted Image icon
  • Click the refresh Posted Image icon
What do the temperatures say? What do the fan speeds say? Posting a screen shot is best, or post the information in your next reply.

Posted Image

Lets double up and use Coretemp: Run this in the
background during some intense gameplay. (only for a couple minutes)

• Download CoreTemp
  • Select whichever your OS is, 32bit or 64bit (if you don't know, select 32)
  • Open with Windows Explorer
  • Click Extract Files (save to a location you can remember)
  • Double Click Posted Image
  • Post ALL information or post a screenshot
Posted Image

Edited by Ferrari, 24 February 2010 - 01:39 AM.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
thanks for the fast reply

The posted screenshot is while i was playing World of Warcraft which isnt even a high intense game.. When i play Dragon age the Graphics Card temp can reach up to 97 degrees

But I also read up on my GFX card and apparently my card gets really hot and its normal?? Not sure about that...

Attached Thumbnails

• systemtemps.jpg

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I’m watching the CPU fan and it starts spinning then stops, over and over.
Then the next thing to try was to adjust the CPU fail safe temperature. MY CPU might be getting too hot and shutting down due to safety. But I don’t understand why it is getting to hot, my PC is not overclocked or anything.

The temps look within range, but aren't the greatest I've ever seen. When you say the cpu fan stops over and over, it may be that the fan is going out on you. If the CPU fan stops spinning, the cpu will probably over heat. If the CPU is still to hot to start the computer, it will not start until it cools down... just as you describe (10 minutes). I'm thinking your fan is going out on you. Keep an eye on the GPU you as well, same thing.

You can keep those programs open, and if you see the CPU temperature get into the 60 plus degrees or higher, or the GPU get towards 100 degrees, quickly look at your fan on the cpu, is it working? What about the GPU?

PC Wizard when minimized will bring up a on screen display where you can monitor temps at all times. Here is what it looks like.

EXAMPLE
Posted Image

If you were to still suspect bad RAM use Memtest86+ a memory diagnostic tool you make by burning a bootable CD. Instructions HERE

Your power supplies voltages seem ok, but keep an eye on those... anything straying to far from the correct voltage would be a sign of a bad power supply. i.e. +12v rail at only 10 volts

OK, keep an eye on that fan... that fact you see it stopping and starting makes me thing that is the problem.

Edited by Ferrari, 25 February 2010 - 02:06 PM.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
When i said the CPU fan stops and tries to start over and over, I meant after the PC crashes on me

When i was first troubleshooting this problem, I played some games with the side panel open, watching the fan, It was working and seemed ok. Then when the PC would crash, the computer will attempted to restart, and the fan would turn a bit then stop, turn a bit then stop.

Sometimes it would manage to eventually start, most times Id have to turn it off from the power button, wait 10 mins then start the PC again

When i play dragon age especially, I hear my GFX card revving pretty high. Im assuming its working at a very high rate, and I think it even goes over 100 degrees at that point when I hear it revving high. When i play Dragon age on the weekend I will post another Tempreture Screenshot

Thanks for your help. I may also consider buying a nice big fan or 2 and put that in. Im only using 2 standerd system fans

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I think it even goes over 100 degrees at that point when I hear it revving high. When i play Dragon age on the weekend I will post another Tempreture Screenshot

Yes do that.

It sure seems like an overheating problem... because that is how a PC acts when it overheats, it needs to cool down first before it will start. I wonder if the graphics card is going bad? I don't know.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hope not.. Or its time for a new one haha

Ive only had it for a few years to. Its not very old

Hopefully if i Stick a big fan or 2 inside my PC it will help

It mostly happens when i play dragon age, and that games graphics are really nice

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
This is the highest temp and fasted speed of my GFX card fan I could get it to..

I noticed it actually works harder while playing Call of Duty modern warfare 2

My PC did not crash though in any of these tests

What is weird is that it sometimes has crashed when my GFX card hasnt been revving that high or hot before...

So it could be something else thats causing it..

Attached Thumbnails

• temps.jpg

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
And the computer just instantly shuts down? Not a bluescreen?

I'm really not sure, I guess you could test the RAM and the Hard Drive... but I really don't think that's the problem. Also, one of the best tests for RAM is just to use only 1 stick in DIMM 1, but this seems to only happen during gameplay, so you can't really play games on 1 stick ???

Have you updated the directX? And the driver for the card?

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
is your computer dusty inside or is it clean? clean out anything that looks clogged with dust.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Double Post, see above replies.

I think this may be more software related. Try the two programs below and let me know.

Lets try WhoCrashed
  • Download WhoCrashed
  • Save it to your Desktop
  • Double Click it (setup file)
  • Follow the installation procedure
  • Once WhoCrashed is launched, Click Analyze
  • Get the proper Windows Debug if prompted, download it
  • The scan will quickly finish, scroll down and
    copy and paste the contents of the report in your
    next reply.

Let's look at the Event Viewer also:
  • Download VEW
  • Save it to your Desktop
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under "Select log to query", select System
  • Under "Select type to list", select Critical(not in XP) and Error
  • Tick the box for "Number of events" and enter 5
  • Click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Copy and paste that log into the next reply.
    ------------------------------------------
  • Repeat again
  • Click the box for "Date of events"
  • In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) XX/XX/XXXX
  • In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) XX/XX/XXXX
  • Click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Copy and paste that log into your next reply.
Base speech by rshaffer61, thanks.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

And the computer just instantly shuts down? Not a bluescreen?

I'm really not sure, I guess you could test the RAM and the Hard Drive... but I really don't think that's the problem. Also, one of the best tests for RAM is just to use only 1 stick in DIMM 1, but this seems to only happen during gameplay, so you can't really play games on 1 stick ???

Have you updated the directX? And the driver for the card?

Im downloading the latest Nvidia drivers as we speak...

Im using Direct X 11 and im pretty sure that is the latest direct X for windows 7 64 bit

No bluescreen is shown when it crashes, just black screen and computer turns off and I hear it trying to turn back on. I could play older games with 1 stick but that kind of defeats the purpose because this mostly happens when I play newer games

is your computer dusty inside or is it clean? clean out anything that looks clogged with dust.

I havent checked inside for dust recently, but when the problem was first happening which was like everyday about 5 times a day, ( I think those days were really hot days by the way] I cleaned all the dust inside and it still was crashing

I will try those 2 other tools then Ferrai

thanks for helping me

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just as a added check.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image