Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Lockups -- Question

• Please log in to reply

Padan

Padan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
And Ferrari,

No, I never did try running with just 1 stick at a time. Is it also possible there is a bad DIMM on the MB?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Is it also possible there is a bad DIMM on the MB

It's possible, I'm not familiar with Whocrashed, so that's why I called rshaffer61 in. However, from a quick glance, I don't think it found anything either. :)

Your problem doesn't seem to be an easy one to discover, that's for sure.

Padan

Padan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok, it just locked up on me. I had Everquest2 and Firefox open, with these forums. I was playing in EQ2 and tabbed over to Firefox to check the thread. Firefox came up, I clicked on the thread link, and it locked up. I ran VEW again, but still it doesn't seem to show anything, at least to me.

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows XP in English
Report run at 26/02/2010 10:01:56 AM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 26/02/2010 8:35:04 AM
Type: error Category: 101
Event: 1002 Source: Application Hang
Hanging application firefox.exe, version 1.9.1.3685, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 01/01/2007 12:01:53 AM
Type: error Category: 0
Event: 11 Source: crypt32
Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download....uthrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 01/01/2007 12:01:52 AM
Event: 11 Source: crypt32
Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download....uthrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

'Application' Log - information Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 26/02/2010 10:01:34 AM
Type: information Category: 0
Event: 1800 Source: SecurityCenter
The Windows Security Center Service has started.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 26/02/2010 10:01:31 AM
Event: 105 Source: PLFlash DeviceIoControl Service
The service was started.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 26/02/2010 10:01:31 AM
Event: 0 Source: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 3
The event description cannot be found.

'Application' Log - warning Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 25/02/2010 9:41:33 PM
Type: warning Category: 0
Event: 1015 Source: MsiInstaller
Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x800401F0

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/02/2010 9:54:53 AM
Event: 1517 Source: Userenv
Windows saved user STEVEN\Steven registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/02/2010 8:58:24 AM
Event: 1517 Source: Userenv
Windows saved user STEVEN\Steven registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

'System' Log - error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/02/2010 8:47:38 PM
Event: 8003 Source: MRxSmb
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer BETTYLOUDUNCAN that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{71D42720-4FD8. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 24/02/2010 9:56:17 PM
Type: error Category: 6
Event: 16 Source: Windows Update Agent
Unable to Connect: Windows is unable to connect to the automatic updates service and therefore cannot download and install updates according to the set schedule. Windows will continue to try to establish a connection.

'System' Log - information Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 26/02/2010 10:01:48 AM
Event: 7036 Source: Service Control Manager
The HTTP SSL service entered the running state.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 26/02/2010 10:01:48 AM
Event: 7035 Source: Service Control Manager
The HTTP SSL service was successfully sent a start control.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 26/02/2010 10:01:43 AM
Event: 7036 Source: Service Control Manager
The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the stopped state.

'System' Log - warning Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 26/02/2010 2:35:46 AM
Event: 8021 Source: BROWSER
The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\BETTYLOUDUNCAN on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{71D42720-4FD8-4CD3-9213-AFE2436FCD49}. The data is the error code.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/02/2010 8:35:47 PM
Event: 8021 Source: BROWSER
The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\BETTYLOUDUNCAN on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{71D42720-4FD8-4CD3-9213-AFE2436FCD49}. The data is the error code.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/02/2010 12:00:43 PM
Event: 36 Source: W32Time
The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please don't quote as that just makes more to go through.
Try it this way.
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to
Start and then click on Run
Type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on System. On right side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Include as a attachment in your next reply
If your attachment is to big to attach then go to Mediafire .
Register and upload your file.
Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One
• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two
• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

Padan

Padan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
There were no errors or warnings within the time frame of the crash. The crash happened at about 10:05. The closest error I found was at 8:30 or so this morning. I included the screenshot. If I recall, firefox stopped responding, but it didn't lock up my system. I was able to ctrl-alt-delete and end the process.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Padan

Padan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have already run chkdsk /r once, as per Ferrari and it didn't fix the issue. Would you like me to run it again?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope try this.
Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

Padan

Padan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok, system froze the first time I attempted to run /sfc scannow. The second time, it completed correctly. I viewed the event viewer --> System and there are only 2 entries that I see labeled Windows File Protection. The first one states the service was started, and the second states the service finish successfully. I guess I will let you know if I continue to experience problems. The service did ask for my windows disk, though. Which I do have and placed in the drive when prompted.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Let us know if the problems continue. If so, we're not done yet :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Padan

Padan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Alright, well I went to class and have been gone for roughly 2 and a half hours. I left my computer on with EQ2, Firefox and Limewire all open with Limewire playing some tunes on repeat. It did not crash. Assuming I do it correctly, here is the JPEG of speedfan. speedfan.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm maybe its me but those PSU readings seem a little strange.
How old is the PSU in your system?

Padan

Padan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Which readings are the PSU? This system is probably 5 years old ... maybe more. I had a local shop build it for me.

Well, are you referring to the PSU voltages, or temps?

Edited by Padan, 26 February 2010 - 06:35 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
PSU voltages and specifically the 12 volt rails.
One is low and the other is high.