Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluetooth keyboard issues(not typical)

• Please log in to reply

macpat

macpat

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi-
I can't get my rocketfish bluetooth keyboard to stay connected. I know, I know: Heard it a million times. But my problem can't be fixed by a 2min search. My keyboard is connected/recognized, has no lag at all when it comes to the media buttons -its the character, command, etc. keys that quit on me. The only time I can get full function is taking the batteries out for 20secs, pressing the connect button with the batts out(I read this method online), then put the batteries back in and wait another 15secs. Very annoying. Again, everything is connected and recognized (as far as I know), with media buttons such as the home key working instantly. I can remove the keyboard and re-install but that only works for 20 or 30mins. I thought maybe it was a sleep mode issue, but it still stopped after the non-use. I just switched pc's, Dell XP to HP Win7, and that's when it started. The mouse works but I occasionally have to turn it off then back on(not as big of a deal because theres a switch on the mouse, obviously not one on the keyboard). I guess its the same issue. I do have a wifi signal from my router about a foot away from the dongle. The pc is not using the wifi, and the router wasn't in wireless mode when the keyboard worked perfectly for over a year. It took 3 weeks to get it permanently connected to my old Dell winXP when I originally bought the keyboard. Thats why this is so frustrating. It stays "connected" on the new HP Win7, but doesn't work! Also, re-setting the pc doesn't connect the non-media keys; only the battery reset method. Thank you in advance for any advice. I promise I combed through threads before posting this, and all the problems are about recognizing or getting the media keys TO work, not the opposite. Thank you in advance for ANY advice or suggestions. I'm a noob when it comes to looking in the bios by the way, but I'll try anything.

Advertisements

macpat

macpat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Any links or site suggestions? The question: my bluetooth KB is recognized, the media keys work, but all other keys lose connection after 20mins. KB stays recognized and media keys always work. Thanks.

macpat

macpat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Wow man, no one on this forum can even chime in with a "heard of that problem before, but don't know sh*t about it"? Am I in the wrong section? Mods? Sorry if I come off too ignorant to respond to, but like I said I've used search functions on google, yahoo, another forum, and here. Should I try AVS forum? I hate signing up for multiple sites and someone paid money for this forum to be at the top of the search results -for general pc questions! Well, reading some posts here, I know there are great contributors who I'm sure read this and could find nothing to add. (Not trying to be sarcastic , just giving credit) Its just so puzzling because all keys work on the old XP Dell with no reset required. I'll do this last bump. Thanks to anyone who bothered to read my story. I hope one pro can give me some sort of closure, I've moved on the the factory wireless. It just sucks compared to the much maligned rocketfish. (Its not her fault! LOL)

Edited by macpat, 07 March 2010 - 10:29 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go. For future reference, the best place to post when your topic hasn't received a reply is the special waiting room forum.

You say this started when you switched computers. Where did the drives come from? Have you checked to see that you have the latest drivers?

You also say the wireless router is only about 1 foot from the Bluetooth dongle. Has it always been there? Even though they operate on different frequencies, there's risk of interference. Possible to move the wireless router? At least for a test.