Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help choosing a new computer.

• Please log in to reply

dza1284

dza1284

• Pip
  • 8 posts
So I am looking to get a new computer. I have been look at hp. I am considering HP Pavilion Elite e9300z and Pavilion p6330f. There are about the same base price. I can get the P6330F tax free from a store for 589. I am assuming it is just the base model with basic features. The e9300z I am considering will have the following features. The underline are the added features. Anyway my computer knowledge is not extremetly high but it seems to me that the e9300z is a better computer. Any advice??

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Athlon™ X4 620 quad-core processor [2.6GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MT/s bus]
FREE UPGRADE! 6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs] from 4GB
FREE UPGRADE! 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB
512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
Wireless-N LAN card
15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio
Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports
HP wireless keyboard and HP wireless optical mouse
Microsoft® Works 9.0
Norton Internet Security™ 2010 - 3 year
HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
What will you be using the computer for? This is a question I would need answered to ensure this computer will be sufficient for what you need it to do.

So far looks pretty good.

dza1284

dza1284

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
not much. just to do everyday stuff.. music/ video download, internet use etc. I just want a quality computer to do basic stuff. If you have any better ideas my ears are open. well i guess it would be my eyes but you get the point.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

well i guess it would be my eyes but you get the point.

:)

It looks to me that the HP P6330F is the better computer. http://www.shopping......AY022AA%23ABA

It houses the i3 processor which is really new and pretty fast... faster than the Athlon x4 the other has. Also, this computer has a larger hard drive, so more room to store movies, music, pictures, etc. The i3 processor has the graphics processor on the actual processor (different that how it was ever done before) and from what I've heard it does a pretty good job, especially since you are just going to be using this computer for normal computer tasks.

The other computer has a dedicated graphics card which is more for playing games like Call of Duty or Crysis... "Gamers" games.

I like the HP P6330F. Same amount of memory as the other one as well.

dza1284

dza1284

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
this was from another forum regarding the same topic.

The i3 is a bit faster than the athlon at some things, but the athlon is also new and is faster overall. You won't use either of them to their fullest extent for quite some time anyway, and AMD's socket AM3 will likely take upgrades for a lot longer than the intel.

The big difference in the two is indeed the GPU. The i3's onboard graphics really aren't that great. The Radeon 4350 in the other one isn't a gaming card at all, but it's a much better solution than an integrated chip. Overall, the AMD computer will have a longer useful lifespan than the one with the i3.

dza1284

dza1284

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
what is feeling about this computer?

http://www.costco.co...?...t84&topnav=

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

what is feeling about this computer?

http://www.costco.co...?...t84&topnav=

That doesn't have near the same specs, less memory, slower processor.

this was from another forum regarding the same topic.

The i3 is a bit faster than the athlon at some things, but the athlon is also new and is faster overall. You won't use either of them to their fullest extent for quite some time anyway, and AMD's socket AM3 will likely take upgrades for a lot longer than the intel.

The big difference in the two is indeed the GPU. The i3's onboard graphics really aren't that great. The Radeon 4350 in the other one isn't a gaming card at all, but it's a much better solution than an integrated chip. Overall, the AMD computer will have a longer useful lifespan than the one with the i3.

From a "Gamers" perspective, yes the i3's graphics aren't as good. He/She sounds like a gamer. From what I've read for normal computer use, the i3's graphics are wonderful, perfect for normal everyday use.

I don't agree that the Athlon x4 is faster and I'm assuming HP doesn't have the best Athlon x4 in that machine since it only costs $600. Take a look at this CPU Hierarchy Chart from a trusted hardware reviewer Tom's Hardware. There's only one Athlon x4 that is higher than it, and even it is only one notch higher (so pretty much same speed).

I'd go with the HP P6330F.

dza1284

dza1284

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here is what I am looking for in a total price. Computer, antivirus/internetprotection, wireless card, wireless keyboard/mous.

e9300z: from before total is $760 with tax and all the goodies.

p6330f: $589 -for the computer (tax free)
$165 -3 yr norton internet security
$50 usb wireless adapter
$50 wireless keyboard
total $855

So my question is, is the p6300F worth the extra 100 or since I am really not doing anything special either would do the job?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah, I think both would do a fine job, the i3 would just be a little faster and it has a ton of storage which may not even need. I don't think you would have any complaints with the Athlon x4 system, I built my parents computer with a Athlon x2 and it is plenty enough for them. Is the i3 worth spending an extra $100? For you, probably not.

Another area you can save money is the antivirus. I would never recommend Norton, I've heard several issues with it, especially being very difficult to uninstall. That's all up to you though. Just so you know, their are free anti-viruses available that do a fine job. Here is the link... http://www.geekstogo...ftware-t38.html I personally use Avira, but if you use a email client like MS Outlook or Thunderbird, then go with Avast!.