Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BDOD - Radeon X300 Video Drivers Won't Load

• Please log in to reply

bunsnpigs

bunsnpigs

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Greetings. My system is running slow and I ran the CC Checker to see what new upgrades are available for my system.

I'm having trouble upgrading my ATI Radeon X300 video drivers (Catalyst 9-11 legacy version). I was trying to upgrade to the latest version - the legacy version - and the upgrade would not take. I ran the Driver Sweeper and then ran the installation of the ATI software. When it comes to loading the drivers, I get the message that 'Setup can not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. Setup will now exit.'

Now I am getting the BDOD with error code BAD_POOL_HEADER when I try to go into normal Windows bootup. I did not have any problems whatsoever until I decided to do this upgrade.

I am unable to roll back to the last known good configuration. :) I can run in Safe Mode with Networking.

Please help. Thank you.

Judi

Edited by bunsnpigs, 26 February 2010 - 06:07 PM.

Advertisements

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts
Did you double check on your graphic card model?

Did you download the correct driver on ATI website?

If yes to both, uninstall the current version, then install using the downloaded driver.

bunsnpigs

bunsnpigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes, I did all of that. ATI has a legacy driver download for a bunch of its cards and that includes the X300.

How do I do a doublecheck? Is there somewhere else I can look besides in the System Hardware in the Control Panel?

I turned on autologging and looked at the log. It keeps trying to load the drivers but can't. It is hard to tell what instruction is aborted on, though, since it doesn't try to install the drivers in a set sequence with all the other drivers.

Thank you.

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts
Download a slightly older version of the driver. Sometimes the latest driver may have issue.

bunsnpigs

bunsnpigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have done that.

Here is the chronological order of what I did:

1. Downloaded legacy drivers from ATI website.
2. Uninstalled the current drivers and ran Driver Sweep.
3. Rebooted, then got the error message that the legacy driver installation could not find the graphics card it was looking for.
4. Rebooted in Safe Mode or Normal Windows, I can't remember which, and I let it install the original and old drivers from 2004 since the legacy driver install wouldn't work.
5. Every time since, I can't boot into Normal Windows, I get the BSOD with Bad_Pool_header and the 0x00000019 error. In Safe Mode, I can't uninstall the drivers and try to reinstall - it continually says it can't find a driver compatible with the hardware or operating system I am looking to update. I've tried several versions of the legacy drivers.

The error code gives other error addresses besides the 0x...19. Would that tell me where it is aborting? Is there any hope of finding out what instruction that address points to?

Thanks.

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts
Was the one that you downloaded this?

A list of previous driver can be found here.

Could you upload your dump file, found in C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Maybe that could provide me with more information.

bunsnpigs

bunsnpigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes, that was the driver I tried. I am really confused. The Control Panel System option shows that I have a RAdeon X300, but the Dell configuration that I bought in 2006 says that I have a Radeon X600. In either case, the driver download is the same. I have tried earlier versions, too.

I tried to attach the latest minidump file, but I got an error message that says I can not upload this type of file, so I renamed it to a .txt file type and attached it. I have no idea how to open it.

Thank you again.

Judi

Attached Files

bunsnpigs

bunsnpigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I've tried everything to read this dump file myself, but I can't load any tools in Safe Mode. I downloaded the entire Windows toolkit. I tried to get dumpchk.exe, but it is not on my Dell installation CD. I downloaded another program, but I get a message that the administrator has prevented me from doing this, or something like that.

Judi

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts
Hi,

Sorry that I am unable to reply you. I am currently unable to view your dump file.

Will try to view it asap and give you a response.

Thanks.

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts
Did you had Symantec Endpoint Protection installed in your computer?

bunsnpigs

bunsnpigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes, I do have Symantec installed. When I looked at event viewer, it showed an error and I did a search and it seemed like it went with Symantec.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
BHDrvx86
ccHP
eeCtrl
Fips
IDSxpx86
intelppm
SRTSPX
SYMTDI

So, what do you think it could be?

Thank you.

Judi L.

bunsnpigs

bunsnpigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks anyway for your help. I was desperate to get help but finally found a program online that deciphers the minidump files. It is called Bluescreenview and it was free to download. Yes!!! All of my BSODs were caused by a Sonic program driver - tsfis.sys. I deleted the driver and now I can boot just fine. I don't know that my program will work when I need it, so I have to find out how to download that driver. I can't seem to find it online to download.

Again, thanks.

Judi