Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network controller driver issue

• Please log in to reply

asb447

asb447

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I hope someone can help me. I had to format my harddrive and install a fresh copy of windows xp home on my laptop. I followed the driver installation directions from the Dell website and all of them installed perfectly except the Network controller. I cannot find the driver for this anywhere. It is not in the list on the website. I have the yellow exclamation point in device manager. Does anyone know how i can find this driver please. I dont understand why i cant find it on the Dell drivers website. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Angela

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

I found 22 different possible drivers for that system on the Dell website.

Murray

asb447

asb447

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I found all of the drivers pertaining to this model, except after i installed all of them the yellow exclamation point is still next to the network controller and i have no wireless. I am sure there are many drivers on the website but knowing which one is for the network controller is the issue, do you happen to know how i can identify the network controller one?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
First, what operating system?

Now, you could look at the documentation that came with your system. That should tell you. Or, you can download and install Belarc from www.belarc.com That should also tell you what it is.

Murray

asb447

asb447

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
ok tnx i'll try that...

asb447

asb447

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I found out that i have a Broadcom 802.11g wireless network adaptor. I went to the Dell site and put this in the search and it came up with no results???? Any suggestions? Am iputting the correct thing in the search box? Help please if you can....

asb447

asb447

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Sorry i forgot to say i have Windows XP home edition. I ran the driver cure and it says my Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5075M Gigabit Ethernet Controller is out of date. They all want $30 to update drivers. Do these programs reall do what they say or is it a way to get money? Are there any sites i can go to to download this driver for free do you know?

Thanks

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I assume this is a laptop based on the model #.
On the bottom of the laptop is a service tag (on a desktop the service tag is usually on the back or side).

What is the tag number?

With the tag we/you will get exactly what is on your laptop.
We can narrow it down from the 22 listed HERE

You will most likely have 2 ethernet controllers. 1 wired and 1 wireless.

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

123runner

asb447

asb447

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
HI there,
I went to the Dell site initially and entered my laptop TAG no:FWK0N41. This is where i got al of the drivers. I installed the in order as stated on the driver order document. Everything installed ok except the network controller. In device manager there is a yellow exclamation point next to the network controller. I ran Everest to find out what i had on the laptop an this is what it says under networks.

Device Description Type
Broadcom 802.11g Wireless Network Adapter PCI

Device Description Type
Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5705M Gigabit Ethernet Controller PCI

Thanks....

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
The download is zipped (compressed). Are you unzipping them prior to installation?

As per the Dell instructions on their website..

Install the Broadcom V.92 MDC modem driver.

To install the Broadcom V.92 modem driver on a Dell portable system, perform the following steps:

1.Click to select Broadcom V.92 MDC Modem.
2.Click the Extract button.
The Communications:Broadcom V.92 MDC Modem Drivers window appears.
3.Click the Continue button.
The message Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to appears.
4.Click the OK button.
A message appears asking if you want to create a folder.
5.Click the Yes button.
The message All files were successfully unzipped appears.

NOTE: If a message appears asking to overwrite the folder, click the Yes to All button.

6.Click the OK button.
The InstallShield Wizard window appears.
7.Click Next.
The InstallShield Wizard Complete window appears.
8.Click the Finish button.
The Broadcom V.92 MDC modem drivers are now installed properly.

Murray

asb447

asb447

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Ok i must be really stupid, (sorry) i see a load of information about the Broadcom V.92 MDC Modem on the Dell site, but no actual driver to download, extract and install. Are you able to give me the link please? I dont know what i am doing wrong but i cant fin the actual driver download to follow the instructions you gave me in your last reply....Thanks

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
HERE

Murray

asb447

asb447

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks i installed the driver but no luck, i think there must be something wrong with the hardware. The new hardware found box came up but said there nmay be a problem. Is there a test i can run to see if the hardware is defective? Thanks again for the help!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You could get an add on Network card and try that.

Murray