Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does This Sound 'Fishy' To You?

• Please log in to reply

jek1862

jek1862

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I think this is the 'best' forum for my issue; if it is not, please place it in the proper forum. Thanks...

I found out about a site a few days ago called www.mymusicbrowser.com. Please go there to familiarize yourself with the service they are offering. They let me use their demo version for the last few days, but not now. Now I get a message saying for me to list my mobile phone number so they can send me a validation code by SMS text to confirm my account. They are based in Costa Rica. I feel a little uncomfortable giving a site my cell phone number so they can send me a text message to confirm my registration for their service. Am I being prudent or being too cautious? I just don't want to be the victim of any scam here, like them running up charges on my cell phone or whatever. I have scoured the Internet and cannot find one bit of information about this service, which I find odd. You think there would be a review of it somewhere. If anybody can find a review, please provide me with the link, I would appreciate it.
I admittedly like the service they are providing. But I would like to know if there are any potential risks involved in giving out your cell phone number to a website to validate your account. Usually, most sites send you some kind of an activation link to the email you provide to confirm an account. That I have no problem with.
But this leaves me a bit uncomfortable. What do you think?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I've registered at so many sites I can't even remember how many, but none of them ever asked me for my phone number/confirm via text message. Sounds very fishy, a legitimate website would just do it like everyone else does and confirm via email.

Also, have you heard of Pandora? It's like creating your own radio station. You pick certain artists and they play that artists music (along with similar artists). You can access it from anywhere you have internet. I'm not that into music to be honest so I haven't explored it all that much.

But it's one of those new sites that is a "big hit". Seems everyone is talking about it. Completely free.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I also admit it is very fishy. I have never had a confirmation done via a text message.
It has always been done at sign up or via a link for activation.