Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
A friend has an etower 566I2 that he wanted me to upgrade, the machine has an integrated video card that no longer performs (the only color it shows is green) I purchased some additional ram for the machine PC100 128mb and upgrade the operating system from window ME to window xp sp3. I then purchased a 64 mb video card and installed it, now when I turn on the machine i get a series of 3 beeps and nothing else from the pc. I believe i may have to update the bios of this system but have been unable to find them anywhere, can someone help?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
3 long beeps?

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
3 Long bees followed by a few seconds of silence then 1 beep, then nothing

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Check kb connection first. 3 beeps normally mean a kb error.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Also reseat the ram and the video card.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I've checked the keyboard, pulled out and reinserted the ram and the video card. Nothing has changed. I actually recieve 1 long beep and 2 short beeps. I rmoved the video card and the machine starts up normally, when I put the card back in the beeps return.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I actually recieve 1 long beep and 2 short beeps. I removed the video card and the machine starts up normally,

You answered your own problem.

You either have a bad video card or a bad slot. Can you try another slot?

http://www.pcstats.c...?articleID=1223 Beep Codes

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I went into the cmos and saw that it had 2 video card choices. One was PCI (the current setting) the second was agp. I changed the setting to agp. Now I no longer get the 3 beeps, however the computer will only send video from the built in video card and not the new rage card. I've loaded all the drivers and still nothing.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
OK, I recovered from ,y case of brain cramp. Of course the beeps stopped when i switched the settings to AGP (simply meant that there was no source to generate an error from. I'll be returning to the store to exchange the bad card tomorrow.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Picked up the new video card today, same negative result, 1 long beep and 2 short beeps. Perhaps bios need to be upgraded. Anyone know where i can find upgraded bios for Trigem Cognac Mainboard installed in a etower 566i2 machine

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Ok, I'm back, Turns out that the previous 2 video cards did not work because the guys at Slayton computers here in Charlotte had mis labeled their video cards. It seems that the 2 previous cars were agp not pci. I ordered the right card online and it arrived today. The monitor now boots in full color, but the computer will not load past the "Emachine logo screen. When I remove the new card and reboot thee computer boots but still in that sick green color. Cannot load the drivers for the new card without the card being in the pci slot.

Need Help