Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware infection -Xp Internet Security Alert-

• Please log in to reply

sgtsaughter

sgtsaughter

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, this one's a tough one for me, I've been infected with this XP internet security malware twice before and each time I've used malwarebytes to remove it successfully. This third time the malware will not let me run the malwarebytes program because it has deleted the .exe file. I tried to reinstall the program but when I go to open the install file I downloaded from the malwarebytes website it says I do not have permission to open it. I tried to download other virus scanners and the same thing happens.

I have read that I have to rename the install file and then install malwarebytes to a made up directory, but I do not have the option to rename the install when I download it, I only have the option to save or cancel the download. I do have another clean computer in my home, but its a mac and I don't know if when I install it on a mac I will be able to bring over the files to my pc.

FYI: I was able to scan my computer with the AVG free version when I first got infected it took 5 hours to scan it found all the infected files but when I removed them and rebooted I was still infected, just in case anyone is thinking about trying that it doesn't work.

This couldn't come at a worse time for me because I have term papers I need to start. I'm willing to reformat, but I don't want to because it takes a lot of time and if I reformat then the malware wins.

Advertisements