Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen Saver Problems with XP

• Please log in to reply

mike12r

mike12r

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

I recently started having an annoying and constant issue with my screensaver on my XP computer. A week ago, after every time my computer would start up for the day after logging on and running for awhile - the screensaver settings would default back to a 1 minute wait time before starting up, and the screensaver would actually never come on after many minutes such as 10 minutes idle or more. This is the standard Marine Aquarium 2.6 that comes with media edition. Even after changing the settings back to 8 minutes and pressing apply and ok, it still changes the next day after I turn the computer back on. I did run some windows updates a few times a couple weeks ago - which was successful, I read somewhere that this can cause some issues with windows files, but I have no idea whether that is effecting this or something completely unrelated. Does anybody know what causes this and how it can be fixed, thanks so much.

Advertisements

lcbjr1979

lcbjr1979

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Have you run all the steps in the virus and malware section of this forum.
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

I highly recomend doing that if you have not already.

mike12r

mike12r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes, I already went through every step a month ago with logs, AVG and everything and had it checked. My computer never has had other problems otherwise, for well over a year.

lcbjr1979

lcbjr1979

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Did you post the logs and have the malware guys look at them. They are very knowledgeable and can see things on there that you might have overlooked.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
click on start...run...and then type in msconfig...press enter...
uncheck the following applications that are known to interfere with the screensaver.
Ehtray.exe.
DVDLauncher.exe
Power DVD
PCM service.
Dell Media software.
reboot and see if the problems gone

Edited by happyrock, 25 March 2010 - 08:33 AM.