Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replaced hard drive

• Please log in to reply

nena1971

nena1971

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone -

Tonight I replaced the hard drive in my Compaq Presario V5000 with the hard drive from another laptop. The reason I replaced it was b/c the Presario HD kept telling me that there was a failure (PXE-E61:Media Test Failure:Check cable). I read on here that it could possibly be that the HD was bad. So, I replaced it with one out of another laptop that I have. Now, that HD is working no errors but it starts Windows XP & then goes back to the screen where you have to choose to Start Windows normally. It will start up fine under Safe Mode with Networking but not normally. Can someone please tell me what is going on and what I need to do to fix it?!?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Under XP you cannot use a hard drive from another machine and expect it to work. It is tied to the machine it came from. It needs a Windows Repair from your XP CD to work on the current laptop.

nena1971

nena1971

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you so much Neil for responding. I thought that might be what I needed to do but I just wanted to make sure before I did anything! I will give it a try & let you know!

Thanks again for your help!

nena1971

nena1971

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok...I tried the Repair but it didn't work. It did like before...it would start windows but then go back to the black screen where it asked if you wanted to boot in safe mode or normally. So I guess I'm going to completely reinstall windows
Is there anything else that might work?