Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP boots to black screen with a cursor.

• Please log in to reply

jmalara00

jmalara00

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Sony Vaio laptop which is running Windows XP. Yesterday I wanted to update to Windows 7. Windows 7 was not working quite right so I reverted back to XP by deleting Windows 7 from the dual boot. Everything seemed to be ok until I decided to remove various programs that xp indicated on the add/remove programs options as programs I have not used for years. I went to remove something (I can't remember what) and the computer went to some blue screen that text appeared on then quickly disappeared and shut down and restarted. However, now it will only boot to a black screen with a cursor. I can't seem to get anything to show up. I've tried F2, F8, del, ctrl S, none of which seem to get me anywhere. I still stay at the black screen with the cursor. I have one cd that came with the laptop titled "Sony Software Disc Rev. 8.90W For windows". I'm not sure if this cd even has xp on it. If my laptop came with a cd that specifically contains Windows XP I cannot locate it.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts
Can you try to get Task manager (by pressing ctrl + alt + del). If yes, click on file > new task > type "explorer.exe" w/o quotes and click ok.

See if it loads.

Else, try to boot into safe mode. Do a full system scans.

jmalara00

jmalara00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Crtl-alt-del won't do anything. I also tried F10 for the recovery tool. The recovery tool appears as if it's going to work, then goes to a blue screen, with text that advises me to restart the computer if this is the first time I have seen this message. The further advises to make sure all hardware/software is installed properly. I cannot check the status of any hardware or software because ultimately I can't get beyond the black screen with the cursor.

thanks.