Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade advice welcomed

• Please log in to reply

jasonb

jasonb

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello to everyone...my current system:
Asus P5Q E motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ
Corsair XMS2 DHX TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 Corsair HX620W CMPSU-620HX ATX Triple 12V 50A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 2X PCI-E
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (320 MB?)
Antec 1200, Xigmatek cooler
Windows xp pro

I just dropped 1400 bucks cdn on my kids new computer, went with same case, tasty power etc etc and a Phenom II 965 Black edition
and a Radeon hd 5770. Now I am jealous. It kicks my computers virtual [bleep] at the games I like to play such as Cod World at War,
Battlefield 2 and soon Battlefield Bad Company. I would like a new video card (hd 5770 ? ) but the more I look into it, the more
I get confused. Here is a list of stupid questions:

Can I just throw a new video card in it and thats it?....and which one Radeon or Nvidia?
Is my cpu too weak?...should I get a new one or god forbid try to overclock it ?
Is my RAM acceptable or should I upgrade...stay with ddr2 or go to to ddr3? (can I on this board?)
I would really like Windows 7 like my sons new comp has as well, should I get 64 bit?

Its all just too much for my brain...Im old and my brain is tired, any guidance would be hugely appreciated. I dont need an absolutely
killer system but with say 400 to 500 cdn what would be my options for owning poning pwning or whatever when I play other old farts?
Should I go downstairs and pull dirty socks from under his bed, shake my head and say ''Im sorry son but I warned you about this sort
of thing'' and then switch computers?

Advertisements

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
Hello :)

From the looks, the weakest part of your system is the video card.

Can I just throw a new video card in it and thats it?....and which one Radeon or Nvidia?

Yes, you can throw in a new video card from the looks. ATI Radeon seems to beat out Nvidia in many tests. My personal preference is ATI.

Is my RAM acceptable or should I upgrade...stay with ddr2 or go to to ddr3? (can I on this board?)

Your RAM is perfectly acceptable, to upgrade to DDR3 RAM which is faster you would need a new MOBO. That's a no go. So I wouldn't look into upgrading RAM. RAM also isn't the biggest component in gaming.

Is my cpu too weak?...should I get a new one or god forbid try to overclock it ?

Your CPU is great, being a quad. That has plenty of juice in it for what you are doing.

I would really like Windows 7 like my sons new comp has as well, should I get 64 bit?

Yes, because you have 4GB of RAM and your processor supports 64 bit OSs, you should get 64 bit for the maximum power.

The only thing I cannot make out on your system description is how many watts is the power supply. Could you tell me that?

Thanks
-Eclipsed

jasonb

jasonb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, thanks for the help....the power supply according to the specs is 620 watt:

Triple 12V Rails provide independent reliable power to the CPU, video card and other components with a combined rating of 50A (40A on 520W) maximum! Advanced circuitry design that automatically enables power sharing between the triple +12V rails in an event of overload on any single +12V rail.

Im assuming it is good?

thx again

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
Hi :)

Yes, your power supply can handle everything fine.

malachi0420

malachi0420

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi,

I would say Eclipsed is right on. But I think it's worth mentioning Hard Drives, how many, type (SCSI, IDE, SATA, RPM, SSD), how full are the drive(s). A SSD Drive will make a heck of a difference in how fast your computer is as a whole, but they are pricey! As for the GPU, I think the best advice would be to wait! As next gen video cards are almost here from both nvidia and ATI.

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
It is true, the second you buy hardware, it is outdated. Wait until the newest stuff if you can.

If you have a standard 7200rpm hard drive, there is really no reason to upgrade unless you want to shell out like 500 bucks on a 256gb SSD.