Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

novice question

• Please log in to reply

LWS-Cardinal

LWS-Cardinal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hope some one here can help me out with my system.
I have built a new amd3200 with an asus a7n8x-e delux board 2 gigs of ram wd sata 74 gig hard drive and 2 ata drives.
The problem i have is i loaded the 15 gig ibm ata drive as my primary (boot) drive and the 40 gig wd ide as a secondary,while i was awaiting the arrival of my sata drive.
Once the sata arrived i used windows xp to initialize the new sata and to split it into 2 partitions which were called H and I. Then used WD's clone drive to swap all the files to the new sata drive into partition H, from the operating ibm drive.all went well all files transfered ok.
I then entered the new bios version 1013 and asked the system to boot to scsi with the second boot to cdrom and the third to scsi or none made no difference.I rebooted and the system came up pretty fast so i went to my computer expecting to see the new sata drive in the C: position and was shocked to see the same old configuration C:\local ibm
D:\wd40,E:\cdrom,F:\dvdx16,H:\sata1,and I:\ sata2.

I then disconected both ide drives and system hangs on the welcome to windows screen with only the sata plugged in.. plug in the drives and it loads in 17 seconds what is wrong here please respond with your input I am confused as to why the sata is not seen as the C drive now or why it wont run with out the other drives plugged in as they were ment to only be tempory drives .
anyone have any ideas

Edited by LWS-Cardinal, 19 May 2005 - 05:00 PM.

Advertisements