Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hive Error

• Please log in to reply

bigal50

bigal50

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My PC crashes and gives me the following message on the blue screen:

Stop: C000218 ( registry file failure ) the registry cannot laod the hive(file)
\systemroot\system32\config\software\software or its log or alternate

beginning dump of physical memory complete.

I was instructed to boot from the XP cd and go to recovery console and enter:

ren c:\windows\system32\config\software\software software.old
Copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\software

I received the following msg:

Parameter not valid.
Command not regognized
File or directory already exist.
1 file copied.

I rebooted but nothing changed. Still the blue screen.

Later I tried the "R" repair option from the XP cd but instead of getting the second "R" option for upgrade I get the following:

" You choose to install xp on a partition that contain another OS which will cause the os to function improberly.......

To continue using this partition press "C" (I Pressed "C" )

Next screen reads:

Format using NTFS - QUICK
Format using NTFS
Leave current file system intact with no changes ( I CHOOSE THIS LAST ONE SO i DONT FORMAT ! )

Next message reads :

Caution: A windows folder with Windows already exist continuing will overwrite.
All files,subfolders,user accts,desktop settings, will be deleted.
to use the folder & delete existing win installtion press "L"
or to use different folder hit esc of use F3 to quit.

Question: Why dont I get the option to R(Repair)????

I have other spare PCs and I attempted the repair process and was successful. I got both "R" option twice which is what should happen. The other PCs are not Dells. The broken one is. Does that would that make a difference. Please Heeeeeeelp.!!!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You only get the option to repair if the registy hives are present. In your case they're not. Something has happened to them and now there is no repair option. The brand of the machine is irrelevant.
The best thing to do first is find out what may have caused the issue. The most likely causes are a defective hard drive or defective memory.

Many Dells come with built-in diagnostic software, which you can typically get into by pressing F12 on the Dell screen and choosing the Diagnostics option.

bigal50

bigal50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I will try that. interesting you should say that because i recenlty added a used memory chip and a used dvd burner. If i run the chkdsk feature wouldnt that also check my hard drive for inconcsistencies. I had downloaded a software from the internet called I beleive " Memtest" ( memory test)and it did just that it would check the PC's ram to make sure it was good. Are you familiar with that software or recomemd another.

Thanks for your help.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
CHKDSK is only a temporary fix if the hard drive is on the way out. It's not going to fix a drive with a mechanical issue.