Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection reset?

• Please log in to reply

geistfahrer

geistfahrer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, I'm not too saavy with a computer and have exhausted everything I've known. So my PC says I have connection to the internet, but whenever I try to access a browser be it IE, Safari, Google Chrome or Firefox, I keep getting an error message saying 'The connection was reset while the page was loading'. I tried running Malwarebytes and Avast to check if maybe some bug was the cause, but turned up with nothing. I've tried system restore and setting it a couple days back before this started happening, and still nothing. I haven't changed any settings whatsoever either so I'm completely stumped. Help please?

Edited by geistfahrer, 02 March 2010 - 11:17 PM.

Advertisements

geistfahrer

geistfahrer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Forgot to put the OTL log.

Attached Files

• Attached File  OTL.Txt   145.21KB   192 downloads

geistfahrer

geistfahrer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
bump?

Edited by geistfahrer, 03 March 2010 - 05:54 PM.

geistfahrer

geistfahrer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
bump

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Try Safe Mode With Networking and see if you can surf or at least ping a website.
http://windows.micro...uding-safe-mode

Windows key + R|cmd|type ping -n 20 www.google.com

Press Enter and see if you receive 20 replies.

geistfahrer

geistfahrer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, seems in safe mode I can surf again and the ping is showing a full 20 replies.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Well then, the problem looks to be with a software firewall or even Avast.

Reboot the PC and let it start in normal mode. Reset the Windows Vista firewall and see if you can surf. If you can not surf, Avast or another piece of software is the likely culprit and will need to be configured differently.

http://windows.micro...rewall-settings

Please post back with your results.

ersatz

ersatz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Your OTL log shows you are running more than one Antivirus software on your computer along with a P2P sharing program which we do not support here. I suggest you start a follow the instructions below, where the malware staff can help you fix these problems.

Move to the Malware Forum!

Please read the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide and follow the instructions thoroughly, starting at the top...

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTL log in the MALWARE forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, please return to this thread.

Feel free to post a link back to this thread for the malware staff to see.

-Tony