Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory issue

• Please log in to reply

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hey guys, once again i am asking for some help in solving a problem. I have just today built a new pc
I5 750
Gigabyte h55m-usb3
4Gb 2x2Gb kingston ddr3 1600mhz
Ati 5770
Windows 7 home premium
I can give further details if required.

This issue i have is when i run cpuz my memory is reading as 667mhz and not the 1600mhz advertised after trolling the internet i have figured out so far that i need to change my memory timings i have changed them to 9-9-9-27 and increased voltage to 1.7v when that didnt solve the problem I increased system fsb to 150mhz that increased my memory to 750mhz. However In the bios setting the memory IS reading as 1333mhz still not the full 1600mhz but higher than what cpuz is showing.
Please can someone explain what im doing wrong and how exactly i can get my memory to 1600mhz without seriously overclocking the FSB. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are they in the right slots...

in the bios...did you try setting the ram to auto...try looking in the mobo manual for the proper settings...
is your ram on QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for your mobo...download the zipped file and see if your ram is on the list...
look in Advanced Memory Settings

Extreme Memory Profle (X.M.P.) try setting to enabled
(Note) this only works if the ram supports X.M.P.

what are your options in System Memory Multiplier (SPD) besides [Auto]

Edited by happyrock, 02 March 2010 - 08:25 AM.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thanks for the reply as far as i am aware the mobo supports it, The guide with the board has 1 a5 page on info on how to inser ram but nothing else
im using it in dual channel if that has any effect?
mobo http://www.ebuyer.com/product/193509
ram http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169240

Thanks in advance

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

are they in the right slots...

in the bios...did you try setting the ram to auto...try looking in the mobo manual for the proper settings...
is your ram on QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for your mobo...you can check at the mobo manufactures website...
look in Advanced Memory Settings

Extreme Memory Profle (X.M.P.) try setting to enabled
(Note) this only works if the ram supports X.M.P.

what are your options in System Memory Multiplier (SPD) besides [Auto]

Yea those are the same slots im using they are white on the board itself, thanks for the pic though the options from what i can remember off head are 4 8 and 10x for the memory multiplier

Edited by joybz, 02 March 2010 - 08:13 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go back to my last post and download the attachment...I attached the approved ram list for your mobo...

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Your board supports XMP... as quoted from Gigabytes website... HERE when clicking on the specifications link. You may also want to read the rest of the memory specifications.

Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

I can't tell if your RAM supports XMP or not... which one is yours? SOURCE: Kingston.com

KHX1600C8D3T1K2/4GX 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 T1 Series Non-ECC
CL8 DIMM (Kit of 2) XMP 8-8-8 1.65V (Datasheet) BUY

KHX1600C8D3K2/4GX 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 T1 Series Non-ECC
CL8 DIMM (Kit of 2) XMP 8-8-8-24 1.65V (Datasheet) BUY

KHX1600C8D3K4/8GX 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 T1 Series Non-ECC
CL8 DIMM (Kit of 4) XMP 8-8-8-24 1.65V (Datasheet) BUY

KHX1600C9D3K2/2G 2GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC
CL9 (Kit of 2) 9-9-9-27 1.7-1.9V (Datasheet) BUY

KHX1600C9D3K2/4G 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC
CL9 (Kit of 2) 9-9-9-27 1.7-1.9V (Datasheet) BUY

If yours supports XMP, then I would clear the CMOS since you have adjusted the timings manually, and set the board to the XMP Profile (most likely profile 1). This should be located somewhere in the memory or cpu area of the BIOS.

i run cpuz my memory is reading as 667mhz and not the 1600mhz advertised

667mhz in CPUZ is 1333, so you are aiming to have it read 800mhz in CPUZ, DDR stands for Double Data Rate... I don't know much more than that. 800mhz x 2 = 1600mhz... 667mhz x 2 = 1333mhz.

Let me know which RAM is yours, and if it supports XMP or not. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 02 March 2010 - 08:52 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your ram is KHX1600C9D3K2/4G...its not on the supported list...a bios update may help

Edited by happyrock, 02 March 2010 - 08:45 AM.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thank you guys for all the great help, im actually at work now so once im home ill give them a shot and i will get back on the forum and let you guys know how it went. About the bios flash thats something i have never done and understand its risky so ive avoided it

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi, so far we have established that my ram is KHX1600C9D3K2/4G 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC
CL9 (Kit of 2) 9-9-9-27 1.7-1.9V and therefore does not support XMP does this therefore mean in order to get my memory above the 1333mhz threshold i need to set my bios to XMP? I am also interested to know what setting the reviewer changed in his bios (first review on review tab) http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169240 in order to get a the 1600mhz speed.
(As we know this was not the XMP setting he changed)
Thanks in advance

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well his board and processor are AMD, yours is Intel. The reason the XMP profile exists is because the memory controller is limited to about 1066, maybe 1333 on Intel boards. The XMP profile is an automatic overclock of the controller/memory. and when the memory is XMP Ready, it is guaranteed to work. I'm not sure if you can try it or if it is safe to try it on Non-XMP memory. I don't have any experience overclocking.

Also, all BIOS' are different, so I'm not sure what setting he changed. I wonder if happyrock knows?

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
well ive manualy overclockerd to effectvly 1500mhz/(750mhz) in cpuz i guess i could settle for that after all 100mhz extra isnt going to give me an extra 30fps in crysis i am somewhat annoyed that i shelled out extra for what has effectivley ended up as ddr 1333. Never the less you both have been great help, ill check back see if anyone has come up with any more suggestions, and play around with bios see if i can find any settings.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the ram you bought uses 1.7-1.9V ....anything over 1.65V can hurt the CPU you are using...
the morale of this is to make sure you get up to speed on what the mobo manufacture recommends you to use in the way of ram...
good info here on comparing ram speeds vs timings vs costs its 13 pages...read them all

Edited by happyrock, 02 March 2010 - 06:53 PM.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Yea I guess i say the 1600mhz compatiblity of the mobo and the 1600mhz ram speed and didnt think anything else of it, since it was actually on the "reccomened" for my mobo on the website i purchased it from, maybe i can get a refund or swap for XMP thanks for the help guys.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)